iCloud Photo Library - Beta / My Photo Stream

seme332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
So I installed the final version of iOS 8.1 and decided to give iCloud Photo Library a try. Once I turn that on, also "My Photo Stream" turns itself on... How is that? I thought iCloud Photo Library was supposed to replace My Photo Stream? Can I turn that off while still leaving iCPL on? :)

Thanks!

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I'm wondering the same thing. Does Photostream even need to be on if you're using iCloud Photo Library? What's the point?

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
It does if you share photos with other devices. I don't so there's no need for me. My wife on the other hand has it ON and it shares w/ her iPad.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I'm not feeling it for this feature. I've got a Flickr account and get a terabyte of free storage. I've downloaded their app and set it for auto upload. It's pretty easy to access Flickr from all my devices. Even my cable box is hooked up to my Flickr account. I'm leaving it off for now.

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
It does if you share photos with other devices. I don't so there's no need for me. My wife on the other hand has it ON and it shares w/ her iPad.
Ok, but if I'm using iCloud Photo Library, isn't it already shared with my other devices? Or am I not understanding it correctly?

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Who knows. My understanding is IPL saves to cloud only.
You share IPL w/ iCloud photo sharing w/ ones subscribes w/ an email to the album

MPS goes across devices automatically once on wifi.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Is there any way to get IPL to share with a Mac, or is it IOS only? Would love if this worked like Photo Stream where they would go directly to my iPhoto app on my Macbook.

keith.harris

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I enabled IPL on my devices, set to optimize iphone/ipad storage and once it fully updated i did not gain any space whatsoever, it was exactly the same as pre ios 8.1.
How can Apple say it "frees up valuable space" when clearly it hasnt.
The only benefit i see is that you can have unlimited photos compared to the 1000 before.
Am i missing something?

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Ok, but if I'm using iCloud Photo Library, isn't it already shared with my other devices? Or am I not understanding it correctly?
If you want to continue to use iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac to manage your photos you will need to leave Photostream on and import them into your iPhoto library as neither are currently compatible with iCloud Photo Library. This will obviously change next year when Photos for OS X is released. In other words, it's a stop-gap solution

Also, if you have any devices that aren't on 8.1 (and also Windows) you'll need Photostream to share them with those a too.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
If you want to continue to use iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac to manage your photos you will need to leave Photostream on and import them into your iPhoto library as neither are currently compatible with iCloud Photo Library. This will obviously change next year when Photos for OS X is released. In other words, it's a stop-gap solution

Also, if you have any devices that aren't on 8.1 (and also Windows) you'll need Photostream to share them with those a too.
This!

Since OSX doesn't support iPL at this time, users with Macs still need a wireless solution to get photos to their computers. Therefore, Photostream remains unchanged in this regard.

Once OSX incorporated the new "Photos" app. We should see Photostream go away.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I enabled IPL on my devices, set to optimize iphone/ipad storage and once it fully updated i did not gain any space whatsoever, it was exactly the same as pre ios 8.1.
How can Apple say it "frees up valuable space" when clearly it hasnt.
The only benefit i see is that you can have unlimited photos compared to the 1000 before.
Am i missing something?
I found this too, then when I checked my storage space a few hours later it had almost doubled.

I think it carries on doing a lot of stuff in the background for a while. I also noticed during this time that my internet connection seemed poor for browsing the web. I have a feeling this was caused by the silent uploading and downloading of 2 iPhones which had just had iCloud Photo Library turned on.

keith.harris

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I too noticed my internet speed slow right down, guess that was to be expected.
No doubling of storage fortunately but puzzled by no freeing up of space as was stated.