iCloud Photo Library - Beta / My Photo Stream

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by seme332, Oct 20, 2014.

1. seme332 macrumors regular

seme332

So I installed the final version of iOS 8.1 and decided to give iCloud Photo Library a try. Once I turn that on, also "My Photo Stream" turns itself on... How is that? I thought iCloud Photo Library was supposed to replace My Photo Stream? Can I turn that off while still leaving iCPL on? :)

Thanks!

2. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

3. SoloStyle macrumors regular

I'm wondering the same thing. Does Photostream even need to be on if you're using iCloud Photo Library? What's the point?

4. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

It does if you share photos with other devices. I don't so there's no need for me. My wife on the other hand has it ON and it shares w/ her iPad.

5. seme332 thread starter macrumors regular

seme332

Thanks! It takes forever to upload though! Didn't gain anything for 20 minutes now... Also seems to take up a lot of bandwith, loading www.macrumors.com on my phone takes ages now (on WIFI).

6. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'm not feeling it for this feature. I've got a Flickr account and get a terabyte of free storage. I've downloaded their app and set it for auto upload. It's pretty easy to access Flickr from all my devices. Even my cable box is hooked up to my Flickr account. I'm leaving it off for now.

7. SoloStyle macrumors regular

Ok, but if I'm using iCloud Photo Library, isn't it already shared with my other devices? Or am I not understanding it correctly?

8. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Who knows. My understanding is IPL saves to cloud only.
    You share IPL w/ iCloud photo sharing w/ ones subscribes w/ an email to the album

MPS goes across devices automatically once on wifi.

9. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Is there any way to get IPL to share with a Mac, or is it IOS only? Would love if this worked like Photo Stream where they would go directly to my iPhoto app on my Macbook.

10. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Correct. Photostream des not need to be on also.

11. keith.harris macrumors newbie

I enabled IPL on my devices, set to optimize iphone/ipad storage and once it fully updated i did not gain any space whatsoever, it was exactly the same as pre ios 8.1.
    How can Apple say it "frees up valuable space" when clearly it hasnt.
    The only benefit i see is that you can have unlimited photos compared to the 1000 before.
    Am i missing something?

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you want to continue to use iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac to manage your photos you will need to leave Photostream on and import them into your iPhoto library as neither are currently compatible with iCloud Photo Library. This will obviously change next year when Photos for OS X is released. In other words, it's a stop-gap solution

Also, if you have any devices that aren't on 8.1 (and also Windows) you'll need Photostream to share them with those a too.

13. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This!

Since OSX doesn't support iPL at this time, users with Macs still need a wireless solution to get photos to their computers. Therefore, Photostream remains unchanged in this regard.

Once OSX incorporated the new "Photos" app. We should see Photostream go away.

14. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I found this too, then when I checked my storage space a few hours later it had almost doubled.

I think it carries on doing a lot of stuff in the background for a while. I also noticed during this time that my internet connection seemed poor for browsing the web. I have a feeling this was caused by the silent uploading and downloading of 2 iPhones which had just had iCloud Photo Library turned on.

15. keith.harris macrumors newbie

I too noticed my internet speed slow right down, guess that was to be expected.
    No doubling of storage fortunately but puzzled by no freeing up of space as was stated.