iCloud photo library, cellular data and optimized size

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by zackattack784, Sep 26, 2014.

1. zackattack784 macrumors member

Two questions, will iCloud photo library use cellular data or will it wait for a wifi connection to upload? If it does how do I restrict it to wifi?

Second, what size is the device optimized version saved at? I realize it keeps the original size in the cloud but was curious how much space the device optimized version will save. What happens if I try to message/email/post to a message board the device optimized version? Will it send the original size or the optimized size?

Thanks!

2. hattonna928 macrumors regular

I haven't enabled it yet (I will later this evening), but I would guess that the phone will store the typical compressed version of the image. The phone normally saves the uncompressed 4MB or so pictures. If you have ever attached photos in an email, you will see it gives you various options for sizes, so that they take up less space in the email. It probably compresses in a similar manner, hopefully to individual picture sizes of less than a megabyte each.

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

iCloud photo library, cellular data and optimized size

By default it uses cellular data. If you turn off cellular data for photos then it will be restricted to wifi.

I'm not sure exactly what size is saved, but it's pretty low resolution. If you open a picture that is optimized it looks very pixely for a few seconds, but it automatically pulls down the full version from the cloud and then displays that.

As far as space savings, my wife has about 27G of photos saved in IPL. On her iPad, which is set to optimize device space, photos takes up a bit under 2G.

Finally, if you attempt to share a picture by email or posting or whatever then it will pull the full versions from the cloud and share that one.

4. zackattack784 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

5. tosbsas macrumors 6502

tosbsas

Being on windows and unable to install the idrive/icloud thing - what other way of accessing the pictures in the cloud do I have?

6. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

iCloud drive is available on windows now. I use it at my work windows computer. use "windows iCloud control panel" works really good :apple:

7. tosbsas macrumors 6502

tosbsas

as I stated in my post - that "bastard" will not install I am stuck with 3.1. Install breaks up nearly at the end

Uninstalled 3.1 and all - only thing left would be uninstall itunes completely - but I don't want to do that

8. zackattack784 thread starter macrumors member

Any way to get icloud photo library on windows? I have the iCloud control panel but don't see any way to access iCloud photo library pictures.

9. Realistiic macrumors regular

Realistiic

Is there a way to get my windows home videos onto my iCloud Photo Library?

10. arni macrumors newbie

just wondering - how did your manage to get 27g of pictures into ipl?? As far as I understand, the desktop version for uploading is not yet available?

11. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

I used an app called rollit on my iPhone. Transfer from my Mac using iTunes into the app. Then save them all from my phone to camera roll. iCloud did the rest.

12. dadiduekappa macrumors regular

dadiduekappa

Question

When I watch a photo in iCloud photo library, the high resolution is downloaded on iPhone. Now, I ask, the photo still in my phone? If yes, I think Apple have to add a "downloaded" folder, because I don't know which photo is only in iCloud and which photo still also in my device after a couple of day.

13. BrettDS macrumors 65816

My wife had 27G of photos between her iPad and her iPhone. The 22G or so that were on her phone went back all the way to her original iPhone 3G. She's just never taken the photos off of her phone.

14. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

..think you can use this link as well:

https://beta.icloud.com/#photos

although, hopefully, when iOS 8.1 rolls out tonight, you should just be able to access it from this link:

https://www.icloud.com/#iclouddrive

15. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I agree with this. Im not completely happy with the whole setup. Also after turning on iCloud Photo Library I turned off Photostream. Cant understand why that option is still active even after you have switched on IPL.

16. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Maybe because There are some not supported devices, apps for iOS 8 iCloud library feature like iPhone 4, iPhotos app for Mac ;)

17. Jonas windey macrumors newbie

Jonas windey

I'm not able to get iCloud Photo library working over cellular data. When I enable WiFi, everything works. The Photos app is enabled under Settings > Cellular data.

When it tries to load the higher resolution image, the connectivity spinner keeps loading (in the menubar) and there is an icon with an exclamation mark at the bottom right corner of the image.

Any suggestions to debug this? I have tried updating to iOS9 beta but without luck.