Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axisofphilippe

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I've been scouring the web to find a simple answer to this but can't quite, so apologies if this has been asked a million times/resolved elsewhere.

I have iCloud Photo Library enabled across all devices (running latest iOS 8/Yosemite). All I want to do is be able to delete a photo from my iPhone but have it stay in my Photos library on my Mac (and iCloud). I tried actually importing them by connecting my phone to my computer but that doesn't seem to have worked. When I delete a photo on my phone it disappears from my Mac's Photo Library.

I know I can just use Image Capture to grab the photos and keep them in their own area outside Apple Photos, but it seems like there must be a real way to do this. Ideally I'd love to just delete all the photos from my phone without having them removed from iCloud. Is it as simple as turning off iCloud Photo Library on my phone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Unfortunately that is how the iCloud Photo Library is designed - to keep the same version of the library on all your devices and any changes (including deletion of photos/videos) are synced across.

At most, you could turn off the iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone and do manual imports to Photos from the iPhone to your Mac and then manually sync only certain albums from your Mac back to your iPhone to keep on iPhone. But you lose the automatic uploads and the ability to sync the edits over iCloud with this way...

I do wish there was a better management system for this as well. When one has over 60,000 items on their iCloud Library, makes no sense to keep all of those on the iPhone as well. Would have loved to see an option to sync only certain albums from the iCloud instead of everything.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.