iCloud Photo Library Confusion

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by boccabella, Oct 17, 2014.

1. boccabella macrumors member

boccabella

It was my understanding that with iCloud Photo Library when deleting a photo from the device the photo would still remain stored in the cloud. That hasn't been my experience, am I mistaken about this? Also, I have Optimize iPhone Storage enabled but according to the Photos & Camera usage info nothing has been downsized.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If you delete a photo, it will be deleted from all locations. This is the same as doing an edit, the edit updates everywhere. The idea is all devices work as one. So, any action on a device will receive an equal action elsewhere.

As for the optimization, myself and others have the same problem. I have 6.5GB of photos on my device at the moment and that is the amount of space being used on my device. I have the option checked. If it were working correctly I would expect to see about 1GB of space used maybe. The 8.1 release Monday makes the beta available to everyone and it may also fix some of the basic issues people have seen. I would wait for the release and see what happens.

3. boccabella thread starter macrumors member

boccabella

That clears it up, thanks. What do you think happens if you add photos to the iCloud Drive on the Mac? Will they appear in the iCloud Photo Library?

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Is there a photo library folder in iCloud Drive? I was curious about this but left my home Mac to upgrade this morning so I haven't gotten to play with it. I moved a few critical work documents over to Dropbox and I'm going to upgrade to iCloud Drive after work, but I'm still scared to flip the beta switch for photos. Make sure your photos are backed up! I'll probably wait until 8.1 and see where things stand on Monday until flipping the photo switch. It's basically the whole reason I signed up for iCloud Drive. I'm hoping it works well because several members of my family have run out of space on their iPads due to photos and videos that they take with their cameras filling up their devices and something like this could be very useful for them. Even the 20GB plan will help a lot. I wish there was something in between though, like 50GB. It would be cool if someday Apple would give everyone as much free iCloud space as the storage is on the unit they purchased.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Press delete on a photo and read the message that is displayed. It is pretty clear what it is doing.

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

There is currently no way to access iCloud Photo Library photos from your Mac. They do NOT show up in iCloud Drive. Apple's Photos app, due out sometime in early 2015, should provide direct access to them. Apple may in the near future enable web access, but currently if you choose to use Photo Library, you cannot access your photos on your Mac. This is probably why it's considered a beta.

Even Apple's description page for Photo Library states:

"Cloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos in the cloud, so you can access or download them on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and the web."

7. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

About optimizing storage. I have it enabled on my iPhone and iPad. It's set to download full quality on iPhone and optimize on iPad. All pictures and videos are taken from the iPhone and add up to a total of 13gb. When I enabled iCloud photo on the iPad it started downloading everything. When it was complete it took maybe 500-1000mb. Which is great. But what I'm noticing is when i started looking at the pictures and it downloads the full version it will actually store it. I don't know for how long but my library on my iPad now takes 2,6gb.

I haven't tried optimizing on my iPhone. Maybe it won't downsize if you do it in that order. Which it should though.