iCloud Photo Library fun

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattA, Dec 2, 2016.

1. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Hello all! My wife has a MacBook Air with a 256GB SSD. She also has a 24" iMac (2009) with a 2TB HDD. She takes thousands of photos. The photos alone would fill the MBA without any problem at all.

What I've done is had her save all of her photos on the iMac, then push them all to iCloud. The iMac is synced perfectly, and also has all the originals on it.

I had iCloud turned off on the MBA, and we haven't put any photos on it.

When Sierra came out, I decided to install it on the MBA, and what did I find? Storage full. Huh? I opened up photos, and the thing had downloaded most of her photos from iCloud! I checked the settings, and iCloud Photo Library was still disabled. WTF?? Photostream is enabled, however, though I'm not sure how that would make a difference.

My question is this: Can I delete the photos from the MBA, then turn on iCloud Photo Library and have it download all the photos in an 'optimized' state? When I tried turning it on, it wanted to upload 17K photos, so I quickly shut that down. I'm afraid of duplicates, as I'm not sure how iCloud would handle this.

There is nothing on google or the forums that I could find that talks about my problem. I'd really like to clear her SSD so I can run updates at the very least.

Thanks in advance...

2. MattA thread starter macrumors 6502

MattA

I guess we're alone with this issue. I'll try deleting the photos off the MBA and have iCloud Photo try to fill it in using optimization. I'll report back afterwards in case anyone else is having issues.