Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
If I upload like 20GB worth of photos, if not more, on the iCloud photo library/photostream, what happens when I only have 1GB left on my iPad?
Will it try to download the pics? Or can I just view them as if viewing a website online?

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
If I upload like 20GB worth of photos, if not more, on the iCloud photo library/photostream, what happens when I only have 1GB left on my iPad?
Will it try to download the pics? Or can I just view them as if viewing a website online?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

Does using My Photo Stream substitute for using iCloud Backup or iTunes to back up the photos in my Camera Roll?

No. Photos in My Photo Stream are saved on the iCloud server for 30 days. To save or back up these photos, you must copy them from My Photo Stream to your Camera Roll on your iOS device. You can then back up your Camera Roll using iCloud or iTunes.

How many photos are stored in My Photo Stream on my devices and computers?

iCloud pushes all your photos to the My Photo Stream album on your devices and computers, and manages them efficiently, so you don’t run out of storage space.

Your iOS devices keep a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos in the My Photo Stream album. From there, you can browse your recent photos or move the ones you like to your Camera Roll or another album to keep them on your device forever.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
(To clarify, I'm talking about iOS 8 here, not the way it is under iOS 7)

My understanding is that iCloud Photos isn't going to maintain your entire library, in full resolution, on your iPad. It'll have thumbnails so you can browse, and maintains a cache of previously viewed images in "device-optimized" sizes (the resolution isn't going to exceed the resolution of the device's display). It only downloads what you need, when you need it, and keeps it around until the space is needed for other purposes. If the image hasn't been accessed for a while, iCloud will eventually remove it from the iPad.

For example, if the photo was uploaded to iCloud from your iPhone or desktop computer, and you've never viewed it on your iPad, the only thing on your iPad is going to be the thumbnail.

It also seems that, if you opt-in to the new iCloud Photo Library, your Camera Roll will be replaced with a "recents" album. So those hundreds or thousands of Camera Roll shots you never view? Those will be up in the cloud, and will automatically be removed from the iPad.

Last edited:

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
What happens if you want to crop or zoom in to small details with a higher res pic?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
What happens if you want to crop or zoom in to small details with a higher res pic?

iCloud Photo Library will store full-size original images. So if you want to view the original picture, in its full resolutions, than that will also be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.