iCloud Photo Library not optimizing photos

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AppleBonker, Oct 14, 2014.

1. AppleBonker macrumors newbie

AppleBonker

Hey all, first post here, hopefully of many. Question for those with iCloud Photo Library enabled. I basically initially set it up during the iOS 8 beta phase, pics optimized with no problem. Long story short I got my 6 Plus and turned on IPL Beta, and while it seems the pics are indeed updating and getting sent to my iCloud Photo Library, it doesn't seem they are being optimized for storage. I know this because of the amount of storage space being used by photos on my phone, and the fact that none of my recent photos are showing the little loading circle on the bottom right corner. I know that since it's technically in beta mode anything pretty much goes at this point, but just curious if anyone else has had similar issues and if so were you able to fix it? Thanks!

2. mactumors macrumors 6502

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Same here. I activated iCloud Photo Library after the update to 8.0.2. My photos are the same size on my 6 plus as they were prior to turning it on. I have tried several things with no change. I have resigned myself to waiting for 8.1 to see if anything changes.

4. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

They will be optimized by the time your storage gets full

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Is that how it works? I went with the 64GB version of the phone and have just over 40GB free at the moment. The photos don't need to be optimized but I told it I want them to be. Seems like it should do it anyhow.

6. flashflooder macrumors regular

As an other data point:

I had a ~30GB library, it uploaded all of them but only optimized about half (I regained roughly 14GB of space). It seems like it left copies of the most recent photos/videos (I use the term recent loosely, some of these are older than a year).

I assumed it would "optimize" the most recent either after a certain period of time or as space was needed.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

As I'm unfamiliar with this let me ask you a question.

Would the photo be optimized identicaly across all devices which share that photos? By that I mean, if I look at a shared photo on my retina iPad, will it be the low res iPhone 5 version; or does each device see a photo that is optimized for that device's screen?