iCloud Photo Library not working

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hagar, May 11, 2015.

1. hagar macrumors 6502a

Fully knowing iCloud Photos would not work, I enabled it anyway a few weeks back. I even paid for some extra storage.

But when I open Photos on iOS I have a hundreds of blank photos. The thumbnails are missing and when clicking them, they start downloading to 25% and then just stop. (I'm amazed they actually added a little progress indicator. Never expected them to do that.)

But what's the point in having your pictures in the cloud if you cannot see them?? It's been 3 weeks so I assume no syncing is going on anymore. On OS X (my master library), everything is uploaded.

I'm more mad at myself than at Apple as I predicted these issues here several months ago. Actually, reading them back, I was spot on :D
    But instead of using Dropbox I'm now considering Flickr as it offers 100GB for free. Am I the only one with this problem? Or maybe I should wait for OS X 10.10.4 and iOS 8.4. But it goes to show that Apple really is unreliable when it comes to services.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

My iCloud account was super glitched I guess since I enabled it in Beta. I switched to a knew one and its all working perfectly.

3. hagar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never installed any beta. Just updated from iPhoto as the majority would do.

In typical Apple fashion, there are no error messages or any indications something might be wrong.

I notice my Photo library takes 1,5GB of space on my iPad and 959MB on my iPhone. I have chosen to "Optimize Storage" instead of keeping originals.

This is how my photo library looks on my iPhone :(: [​IMG]

4. hagar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just in case somebody has a similar issue (I'm surprised there aren't any), I called Apple for a fix. They suggested to close all apps and reboot the device. Apparently, one has to regularly close all iOS apps to free up ram for iCloud to function properly. This is nonsense.

Anyway, it didn't help.

They also said I have the biggest photo library they have ever seen. No way this is possible: I have 16.000 pictures, and if iCloud can't handle that??

I also tried disabling iCloud photo library. Never try that! iOS can't handle it. The switch doesn't work. I had the exact same issue with turning off iTunes Match when that feature didn't work either. iOS hates when you turn off features: it ignores the switch and keeps all the photos, and even updates them in the cloud if you edit them. Even with the switch off... :confused:

5. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

I've had some issues with IPL over the past months, and this is coming from 8.1 where it was in beta and now on 8.4b3 where this feature is now (supposedly) stable - as of 8.3.

I have a library of 3.5k photos and iCloud handled them pretty well. They were all on my iPhone 5, uploaded to iCloud, no issues. Sometimes it would time out and not upload new photos, and then in those cases I just used to reboot the phone and it would upload after a while. My Mac then showed the photos too after they were all uploaded.

Recently, I got a 6+ and it had no problem getting all the photos from iCloud and generating thumbnails. It seems it's much better than it was a few months ago (well, it should be). The only problem I continue to have is that occasionally it will refuse to upload.

iPhone set to "Download Originals", Mac set to "Optimize Storage".

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Does apple force users to use their features? Is the best choice to never touch it? That is to say, if you are not sure what will go on, don't use it at all?