iCloud photo library (optimize vs keep originals)

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by reese2147, Oct 21, 2014.

1. reese2147 macrumors regular

I thought I was confused with iCloud before and now I am really confused...

To give it a try, I enabled iCloud photo library on both my ipad and iphone. On the iphone, I have photos set to "download and keep originals". On my ipad, I have the setting as "optimize ipad storage"

When I view how much space photos are using on my devices (general-usage-manage storage) both devices are showing the EXACT SAME storage space for photos and camera. Shouldn't the storage on my ipad be less because I have "optimize" selected?

2. acm1108 macrumors regular

Yeah I'm having a terrible time understanding this as well.

I'm paying for the iCloud Drive thinking I could store my photos on the drive and view it anywhere. But after I put them in the "Your Cloud Drive" folder, and figure ok - so there is a copy in the drive and a copy on my phone locally. I should be safe to delete the copy on my phone right? Wrong it deletes it from my Your Cloud Drive folder as well... wtf is the purpose of me paying 3.99 a month for storage then

3. reese2147 thread starter macrumors regular

Give OneDrive a try. From the sounds of things, its a solution you are looking for.

4. acm1108 macrumors regular

There are probably several solutions for what I am looking for, but I wanted it to integrate in with the Photos app.

5. impaler macrumors 6502

Does this refer to new photos or current ones? I think once they're uploaded as originals, copies of smaller photos are then downloaded to the device.