ICloud Photo Library Question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Shaunie1973, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Shaunie1973 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an icloud photo library question.

I recently turned on icloud photo library on my imac, iphone 6plus and my ipad air 2. All are running the latest versions of El Cap and IOS9.

Overall I love the service and haven't had any problems with it.

The 20GB upload went well and I selected optimize storage on both the iphone and ipad as I understand small local versions are saved to the device and didn't want to run out. I also selected download originals to the mac for safekeeping.

However, the Iphone is still showing that photos and videos are taking up 13GB (out of the 20GB) and the ipad is showing 6GB (out of the 20GB).

The ipad figure might be ballpark correct but the iphone number sounds very high as I thought one of the benefits of icloud photo library is saving space.

Its not an issue as I have enough spare space.

Am just confused on why I saved so little space on the iphone and also why the discrepancy between the iphone and ipad despite the settings being the same?

Thanks in advance!

Shaun

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Have you tried turning off iCloud Photo Library on the iPhone and turning it back on? It sounds silly, but this can happen from time-to-time with synced libraries. My guess is when you turned it on on the phone, there were already photos in storage, so it kept the originals of those and synced the non-device ones. You can fix this by turning off the service and turning it back on. It forces the phone to resync the entire library. Of course, make sure those photos are already in the synced library before you rebuild it on the phone.