iCloud Photo Library takes up too much room, Shared Folders instead?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MDJCM, Oct 11, 2015.

1. MDJCM macrumors regular

MDJCM

I'm trying to come up with a solution for what is probably a very common problem now.

I hit the switch on 'iCloud Photo Library' then my iPhone promptly filled up with photos and videos to the point where I couldn't shoot more than a few minutes of new video. Obviously a problem that I can't manually set how much space for Photos to take on my phone.

So

I'm thinking to use the iCloud Photo Sharing to 'share' specific albums with myself.

It seems to be working, it's a way to allow me 'selective sync' of my 400GB+ Photos library.

Does anyone know of a better way to do selective sync?

Also, how to sync favorites? I'd like the photos that I pick out as Favorites on my phone to show up as Favorites on my Mac once they are photostreamed and imported over.

I think this photos situation is still not ideal.

2. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

If you're using Photos on you your Mac, you can set up a Smart Album to collect any pictures that you mark as a favorite. As soon as a picture tagged as a favorite imports into Photos, it will be reflected in the Smart Album. It seems like iCloud Photo Library is an all or nothing proposition. I'm using it right now but have used just Albums as a means to selectively sync pictures in the past prior to iCloud Photo.

3. MDJCM thread starter macrumors regular

MDJCM

It's a good idea but I do most of my favorit-ing when I'm bored in a queue etc out on my iPhone. That is when it is most convenient.

I've been trying the iCloud photo sharing method and its been ok. But I can see apple adding synced favorites at some point in the next year.