iCloud Photo Library Taking forever

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaynecobb, Apr 10, 2015.

1. jaynecobb macrumors member

I had a large iPhoto Library, about 500 GB. But its been uploading to the cloud for more than a day now and it seems to be about 3% complete.

Is everyone else taking that long?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

It all depends on how fast your internet upload speed is, so yes that could be normal.

3. jaynecobb thread starter macrumors member

I just did a test it said upload speed was 10.23 MBPS does that sound right? Typically I don't have any issue uploading or downloading things. I respect this is quite large, but I feel like at the current rate this is going to take half a month.

If I wait it out, should I be fine afterwards? I'm just wondering if I take a bunch of vacation pictures on my iPhone and do some edits, will it take quite sometime to upload them to the cloud?

Or conversely if I use my actual camera and take 1000 photos on an amazing vacation, will upload time be incredibly long?

Thanks

(I do respect that if my internet is just slow thats on me, I'm just trying to determine if storing pictures in the cloud is really worth it to me)

4. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

day 3

I have almost 30k photos in my library seems to be uploading about 2500 photos a day. Speed test is normal I think the bottle next is the world uploading their photos at the same time. My speed can be 150-300k/sec to 1.8-2mbs. Been running activity monitor in the background to track network use... evening time it is slow - does better overnight.

I have the 100mbs Comcast and get 10mbs+ upload on speed test....these still check out even while Photos is doing its thing in the background. So no problem on my end.

More importantly - have you checked your idisk account? I've already went from 20 to 200 to 500gb changes.... :) To me worth it as my 2008 Mac Pro is finally starting to whisper to me... it is OK to let go... upgrade and be happy...

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op I gave up and shut iCloud Photo Library off for now. I have about 100gb of photos it was just taking way to long. But I also had a time machine issue and come to find out it wants to do a "deep" scan which means my entire hard drive.

Nothing really good came out of this update for me lol