General iCloud Photo Library taking up twice the necessary space

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by janezblond, Feb 21, 2015.

1. janezblond macrumors member

janezblond

I have about 20Gb worth of photos and videos in my iCloud Photo Library (as reported by various devices when I look in the iCloud management tab).

For some reason however, both my iPad and iPhone are both using twice as much for photos. If I look in the settings tab, they both correct the correct amount, but when connected to my Mac, iTunes is reporting over 40Gb of space used.

If I turn off iCloud Photo Library and delete all photos, all 40Gb are reclaimed, but turning it back on (with the keep originals on device setting) immediately claims up 20Gb, which then gradually expands to 40 (as reported by iTunes) as originals are being downloaded.

I normally would not trust iTunes in this case, but the odd thing is that although my iOS devices report the correct amount of space used by photos, the total amount of free space is short by 20Gb (exactly the amount iTunes is claiming also belongs to photos).

Has anyone experienced this before?

P.s. I have tried restore my devices, but the behaviour is always the same.

2. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

iTunes shows that I have twice as much space being used for photos as I actually have.

It's probably a bug in iTunes.

3. janezblond thread starter macrumors member

janezblond

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that the total amount used is the same between iOS and iTunes. The only difference is that on the iOS side, 20Gb seems to just be missing whereas iTunes is reporting it as used by Photos (in addition to the legitimate 20Gb being used).

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

If you look at the usage page and select photos and camera how much space is being used by shared photo streams?

Did you check the recently deleted folder?

5. janezblond thread starter macrumors member

janezblond

Right now the iPad is in the middle of re-downloading my library, so only 13Gb has been downloaded so far. Still, you can see how the various locations report different values. And yes, the recently deleted album has been empties.

See the various values in the attached screenshots, which currently stand at:
    - 18.9 total size of iCloud Photo Library
    - 13.3 downloaded originals so far
    - 29.2 reported by iTunes

Attached Files: