iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by atki81, Sep 20, 2014.

1. atki81 macrumors member

Hi all please can someone advise me on the iCloud Photo Library. When I turn it on my recent photo are imported but everything else thats in my photo stream disappears from my collection?! Do I have to leave it 24 hours to transfer across or do I need to save my pictures to my iPhone then turn on ICloud Photo Library on? It's a little confusing and if some can explain in basic terms how it works as I can't find anything on the www that helps, just guides on finding photo stream in collection etc. Thanks in advance, Peter.

PS. Is there an iCloud Photo Library App for OS X Yosemite DP or will they just show up in the iCloud Drive folder?

2. FangRock macrumors member

FangRock

I am now completely and utterly baffled by photos/camera roll/photo stream/icloud and how i sync these to my mac :-(

3. illusionx macrumors 6502

iCloud Photo Library

AFAIK, it still works just like before?

Photo stream is now combined with "recently added" photos...
    And your photos should show up in iPhoto just like before.

4. atki81 thread starter macrumors member

I've managed to figure it out now, if you've got lots of pictures stored in photostream which aren't on your iPhone you have to copy them to your phone first and then turn on the iCloud Photo Library (beta) so that they continue to stay in your collection and get transferred to your iCloud Drive service. Why they don't just automatically transfer between the two I've no idea. Thanks.

5. illusionx macrumors 6502

PhotoStream was not meant to be photo storage as it only stores 1000 pictures. Old ones get deleted.

6. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

i also had qs on how this works with the mac

1) a few times a year I offload all photos and vids to my mac and delete them from my phone. what happens now if I do that will it delete from the cloud? and also delete from mac? creating a weird ciricular reference?

2) sometimes I still do the manual sync of specific libraries from old events to ipad or phone via itunes(yes old school)if ido that will it get automatically uploaded to icloud?

7. protobiont macrumors 6502a

8. atki81 thread starter macrumors member

Now I've turned on ICloud Photo Library (beta) on my iPad and everythings started appearing in collection as it should, the two pics on my iPad are showing up on my iPhone and when I take a pic it automatically syncs as it should, great :D

----------

Go to settings, iCloud, Photos, iCloud Photo Library

if it doesn't show up turn on Cloud drive in the iCloud settings

9. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

i thought this was pulled and also removed from apple homepage.

10. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Still not there for me. Looking around the web and seems I'm not the only one.

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I think you had to be on a beta version with the yosemite dp to get it. Trust me its just as confusing for me even with it. Hopefully apple can clarify on how it all works soon

12. atki81 thread starter macrumors member

It also shows up on my other halfs iPhone but she's not got a Dev Account. I just thought you'd had to have iCloud Drive turned on for it to work?? I'm going to update her iPad later after work and I'll let you know how that turns out.

13. FangRock macrumors member

FangRock

I hate to say it but today I've started using Microsoft onedrive on my iPhone. 30gb of free storage and auto cloud update. And the app looks like the old camera roll. It's brilliant!

14. mrochester macrumors 65816

I've turned on iCloud Photo Library on my iPad and it worked fine. However, on my iPhone 6 (which currently only has about 10 photos stored on it) it's stuck on 'updating', even after a phone restart.

Does anyone know how to actually get past this?

Many thanks

15. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Photostream was not photo storage... No matter how some people tried to pretend it was. iCloud Photo Library is indeed photo storage, and works the way one would expect it to.

16. atki81 thread starter macrumors member

After you've turned it on and it says updating, go into the Photos app and collection and it will say updating at the bottom. It took me about 30 mins with 350 pictures.

17. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Wrong. iCloud Photo Library does not work now.

18. mrochester macrumors 65816

I've just realised I think you have to be connected to wifi for it to work.