iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by virginblue4, Sep 22, 2014.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Hi everyone,

So with iOS 8, we now have iCloud Photo Library. I chose to opt in for the beta on both my iPhone and my iPad, so how does it actually work? If I take a photo in my iPhone, where can I find it on my iPad? Where do I actually access iCloud Photo Library? And am I correct in saying that it is all cloud based?

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

As long as you have enabled iCloud Photo Library on both your iPhone and your iPad (which may be a big if as for some reason it's not available for everyone) then any photos you take on either device will be available on all of your devices in all the views (the photos tab, recently taken, etc. It looks like albums may sync as well although I'm not sure about that).

When you first enable it it will upload all of the photos on each device to the cloud, then each device will download thumbnails of the photos that it doesn't have. So depending on how many photos you have on each device and how fast your internet connection is then it may take some time before you start seeing new photos appear on each device.

3. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

As of the iOS8 public release the iCloud Photo Library feature was removed. I assume they will reintroduce it in the fall with the debut of the Mac version.

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This is only true for some. Many people have access to the iCloud photo library beta.

5. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Yes I see the OP mentioned he opted in to the beta. Most of us aren't lucky enough to have access.

6. bigmutt macrumors newbie

Ios8 is the first version with this feature?

Is ios8 the first version where it's possible to see photos taken on iPhone on your iPad also?

7. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Not really. iOS 7 introduced photo stream. This is a copy of your most recently taken pictures, but it's not permanent storage for them. Photos remain in photo stream for 30 days, or until you have 1000 photos in the stream. In that case, the oldest ones are removed as you add new pictures.

iCloud Photo Library is permanent storage and will contain all of your photos and videos.