iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Donia330i, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Donia330i macrumors regular

Hey guys, so I have iCloud Photo Library turned on on all my devices but it seems the photos are still saving locally. I thought the point of the iCloud library was for them all to be saved in the cloud not taking space on all my devices. Am I wrong? Please explain. Thanks!

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

In iCloud Photo Library settings have you checked optimize storage on the devices you want to save space on?

3. TC03 macrumors 65816

1. Check 'optimize phone storage' in the iCloud Photo Library settings.
    2. Wait for your phone to get full, photos will be deleted automatically once that happens.

4. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, on all devices..

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The phone will most likely not reduce the storage space used by photos until it needs the space for something else. If you want to manually do this you can. Make sure all photos are synced to the cloud, turn iCloud Photo Library off, delete all photos from you device and from the recently deleted then turn iCloud Photo Library back on with the option to optimize. What you will get from the cloud is the thumbnail size photos which take less space on your device. I have about 5000 photos and 300 videos and use optimize. On my device I'm using about 1.4G of space. In reality it takes about 26G of space on the server. Not bad.