iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matttye, May 4, 2015.

1. matttye macrumors 601

I didn't see a thread for this despite searching first, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I've enabled iCloud Photo Library on my iPhone and it has now finished uploading all of my photos. I've turned on 'optimise storage' but for some reason my phone is still showing 16.4GB of photos despite my iPad showing only 1.3GB.

I thought the idea was to delete the original high res images from the phone and simply use thumbnails to save space.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

3. doerrmann macrumors member

How much free space do you have on your phone? If you let the phone optimize, it may not delete the local copies until space is needed. My phone and iPad have always had different storage usage despite being linked to the same library.

-Craig

4. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

About 20GB, I was thinking about getting an iPhone 6 and as an experiment I wanted to see if I could manage with a 16GB.

Cheers

5. crashoverride77, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

This has been discussed a few times before, we don't know exactly when it starts to optimise.
    People said it will start to delete older photos after about 30 days. Again what photos exactly get deleted we also don't know. The idea tho is that you don't have to worry, it will clear space when needed or when photos haven't been viewed in a while.

However if you want to clear the space immediately, especially after a big upload, there is no proper way to do it.
    The only way is to turn off IPL (once everything is 100% uploaded) and delete all photos in your camera roll and recently deleted album. Than turn IPL back on with the optimised setting.
    Hope that helps