iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dojoman, Oct 8, 2015.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

Anyone using iCloud Photo? Upload is taking so long I don't even see the progress. I have about 7 gig of photos/video but it's ridiculous. Last night I finally saw some upload progress and thought it would be done by this morning but now I don't even see progress, just shows uploading 344 items.

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I have 100GB of photos...I didn't even bother to load them from the iPhone...I took care of the uploading through the photos app on the Mac. It took the better part of a week to upload.

3. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Yeah, try a 500 gb library. I forget how it long it took to upload but definitely longer than a week, even on a 120/12 line.

The real problem is trying to actually use the Library on any iOS device. Not even my Air 2 can handle it decently.

4. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I'm using it since it's currently the only cloud storage solution for live photos. I did notice that upload time is on the slower side.

5. dojoman thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm gonna give up this crap. I was going to use this to restore my iPhone and start fresh as new, hoping iCloud photo library would recover my photos if I wipe out my iPhone fresh and then restore only photos/video.

It's probably gonna be this slow to put them back to iPhone anyway. Does anyone know if there's a way to restore photos from Photo app from Mac to iOS? I can import to app but not sure if there's a way to put back or export from Photo app.

6. urkel, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

urkel macrumors 68030

Aperture doesn't support iCloud Photos so I created a small 15GB library so I could test out the service and the disk space optimization on my MacBook. Not only did it take 5 days to upload, I now have a problem where my "optimized" OSX photo library went from 20GB to 48GB (leaving only 5GB left in the MacBook).

i guess it's nice to have everything sync but for a pay service then so far then things just feel very sloppy.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

Downloading pictures is a lot faster than uploading... I did the same thing when i bought my 6s plus started from scratch and had to download around 8gb of photos and videos and it didn't took long to download to the new phone...

8. urkel macrumors 68030

I use PhotoSync to send photos from Mac back to iOS (or vice versa). It's a paid app but it works well.

As for giving up, Apple throttles the upload speed or something so don't quit just yet. Having an online backup is exremely important so just be patient. $1/mo is nothing compared to the memories you lose.

(That said, also check out Google Photos. Its simple, unlimited, fast and most of all, FREE. My 200GB photo library and 150GB video library uploaded to Google in less time than it took for Apple to take my 14GB iCloud photos. Both are good services once you get them set up)

9. dojoman thread starter macrumors 65816

I was able to upload all my pics using photo app from Mac but how do I see them on my iOS device? When I turned on iClould Photo my phone is now trying to upload again but same pics are already on iCloud. Should I delete from iPhone and then redownload from cloud? Apple really sucks with iClould photo service.