iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Mar 5, 2017.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I just enabled IPL on my Mac. It's uploading and all that. The one thing that isn't clear from Apple is, can/should I enable it on my iPhone right now, with my Mac currently uploading my photos? Or should I wait? Not really clear on how it syncs both devices if there are photos that are not on one but are on the other. I am also assuming that if each device has a duplicate, it doesn't include that in the upload?

See my minor confusion?

Thanks for any input!

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I cant see why you couldn't, I have mine enabled when when I upload on Mac they just add to my iPhone when refreshed. If you have a large library and to be on the safe side, I would say wait - just incase something goes wrong and you have to start again!

Pays to be patient sometimes.

3. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, I'm thinking of waiting until the Mac is done uploading. Then I will turn on IPL on my phone. Hope all goes well.

4. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

I suggest to wait, i didn't initially and it became a mess so i had to do it all over again. That was back in 2015 tho

5. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Wanted to update this thread for anyone that may find it in the future.

I turned on iCloud photo library on my mac and let it complete. A little under 2 hours and it was complete. I had a 45 gig library and on Fios 75/75. After it was complete, I turned iCloud photo library on my iPhone and it was done within an hour and a half.

Smooth, simple and I have to say, it's so nice having this feature! I didn't realize I had some photos that weren't on my mac that were on my iPhone and vice versa. Everything is synced up and LOVE IT!

Since my library is around 45 gig, I chose to keep originals on my iPhone and Mac. My iPhone is 256.

6. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Also it'll work fine if it's set on both. There won't be any duplicates or any of that stuff. I initially did mine with the phone and then started the computer. Just let it figure it out. Worked just fine.