iCloud photo optimize option

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TurnerMartin, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TurnerMartin macrumors regular

TurnerMartin

If I select the optimize iPhone storage in he photo settings.

Where are my HQ photos going?

Are they sent to the photos app presented for Yosemite? If this is yes, any chances on accessing them now?

Thanks!

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

iCloud Photo Library stores the full quality photos in the cloud no matter what you select there. The difference is whether it also keeps a copy of the full quality photo on the phone or not. If you choose to optimize iPhone storage then the cloud will be the only place the full quality photos are.

3. alezano macrumors member

Anyway, this feature is not working in this beta, according to the release notes.

4. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Be careful if this launches before the beta ends. Anything in icloud could be wiped by Apple during the beta phase. If you don't have full versions somewhere you could lose images.

5. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming this feature will be the reason why all of my perfectly fine photos have become blurry, anyway to retrieve other than syncing with iTunes?

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Syncing with iTunes won't make a difference. However, if you try to open a photo when your phone only has a low res copy then it will download the full res copy from the cloud. So the photo may appear blurry for a few seconds, but then should be clear once it finishes the download. Of course, if your phone isn't connected to the Internet (or isn't connected to wifi and you have cellular data turned off for photos) then it won't be able to get the full version from the cloud so it will stay blurry.

7. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

How do I then keep them on my phone because if I turn iCloud photos off, they disappear, I don't really want my pictures in the cloud I just want local high res pictures

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

For some reason apple has been very vague about icloud photo library. It seems like people are figuring this out as they go along during the beta.
    I love the idea but wonder how apple is handling this.

-No answer yet on how to use it on osx until the photo app comes out in 2015
    -Will we see the library in icloud drive on osx (like it does for pages, numbers etc) so we can also drag and drop jpgs
    -in the keynote while demonstrating icloud drive on osx yosemite (in finder) there were jpgs in it. However there was no folder for icloud photo library. Will these pictures show in the photo app? Because if they do I might as well just copy my whole sorted picture folder on my mac into icloud drive instead if doing it through the photos app (I guess I will not benefit from the editing and syncing features if I do it that way)
    -How will it look on icloud.com?