Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vwDavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Dear Forum,

(edit: title should be icloud photo Library (not photo sharing)

I am trying to figure out how to use icloud photo library the way I want to use it. I am not sure if this is possible due to Apples in-built limitations. I am a long time mac user but only recently have shifted to a ip6s and iMac with Yosemite.

I wanted to experience icloud photo sharing and decide how it can work for me. I started taking photos with my new 6s and they would sync to the cloud and then to my iMac. Now, after a couple weeks my free 5 gig icloud storage if full. Yes, I could pay 0.99 per month.

But, my desire to is have all my photos on my iphone and all my photos on my mac, with a subset of photos only kept on icloud. I could outline my wish here in detail, but I won't because I am pretty sure icloud can't do this.

So it seems there is not much that can be done with a large photo collection and a small icloud account. Storage management is very limited in the icloud.

What have other done who have large storage on their iphone and large storage on their imac, looking to use icloud a bit but not needing to pay for extra storage? Just stop using it altogether and use the wired sync cable?

Your tips are appreciated.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
What about using My Photo Stream?

It seems to me like it would be the right choice for you. You would sync your photos with mac, but the iCloud would keep for free your photos for 30 days.

Reactions: rui no onna

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There is no way to do what you want to do.

My Photo Stream (mentioned above) only stores the photos temporarily. After 30 days or 1000 photos the oldest ones start getting deleted.

I suggest just paying the $1 a month. I mean, that works out to about 3 pennies per day, and not only do you get a complete additional backup of your photo library in iCloud but plenty of room for iOS device iCloud backups. It's worth it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iCloud Photo Library: disabled
Upload to My Photo Stream: enabled
iCloud Photo Sharing: enabled

For the photo subset you want to store on iCloud, create a Shared Album and share it with yourself.

Edit:
Whoops, sorry. Didn't realize the OP was from 2016.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.