icloud photo storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattopotamus, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think I am right about this, but just want to be 100% sure before I buy into drop box storage vs icloud storage.

There is no such thing as true photo backups on icloud right? I know it can keep 1000 photos in your photos stream or photo's currently in your camera roll (meaning you would need to keep the photos always on your phone). In other words, there is no way to pay for icloud storage and have it work like dropbox. I cannot remove the photos from my camera roll and just leave them "in the cloud."

I know I can unload the photos to a separate hard drive, but I want a cloud storage that can actually store my photos without having to leave them in my camera roll.

Is that correct, or did I miss something?

TIA.

2. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

That sounds correct to me. I think your understanding of iCloud is spot on. It is more for backup and syncing, not storage.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Yeah, it's correct. Apple clearly states in a few places that PhotoStream is not a backup solution. If you care about your photos, I would have more than one backup - a local one on disk and a cloud one would be one way of doing that.

If you mean iOS device backup, yes.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It is not a good backup solution for photos in my opinion.

However, you can store photos permanently in a shared photo stream. You can create 100 shared photo streams with up to 5,000 photos per stream. These photos do NOT count against your iCloud storage limit.

5. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

ahh the ninja route. I did not know this and could almost treat each stream as an album.

6. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

This is literally what I'm trying to sort at the moment. Syncing automatically between Mac, iPhone and iPad is a nightmare. The streams seem to be the best way at the moment but requires so much manual work.

If I create a photo stream on one device, does that stream automatically take up space on another device? Or only when I view them?

7. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

Also, photostream photos are not full resolution...they are compressed

8. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't think photo stream takes up any storage on the devices. It is truly in the cloud.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's not quite true. Photo Stream photos are stored at full resolution in iCloud. However, they are delivered to mobile devices at an optimized size. For example, the version that is downloaded to iPhoto on a Mac is full size.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5903
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4858

10. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Awesome. That's good to know. Let the manual work begin!