Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hi,
I thought I had a fairly sound knowledge of how iCloud photo is meant to work. After uploading your photo library, you have two options: keep all high res photos on your phone (i.e. taking full space) or get thumbnails and hopefully save some gb opn your phone.

My camera roll was 5.7 gb before activating the iCloud beta option. I had no sync photos from my mac. I activated and this morning it finished uploading all 1200 photos and videos.

However, my usage now shows 5.8 gb for photos? I made sure the "optimise storage" option was selected, so I should only have low res thumbnails and not the full photos on my device, why is it now taking even more space than before activating the cloud option?

I'm confused!

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
My photo stream is off?

It is off, yes.
I have also noticed the last backup to iCloud included all photos, so right now I have both libraries twice, one as an iCloud backup and the other as the icloud photo library.

I know it's a beta :)

Just a question: if I turn off the icloud photo library, will all local photos be deleted??

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
It is off, yes.
I have also noticed the last backup to iCloud included all photos, so right now I have both libraries twice, one as an iCloud backup and the other as the icloud photo library.

I know it's a beta :)

Just a question: if I turn off the icloud photo library, will all local photos be deleted??

I did so and no they remained on the phone , although I have like 10 photos on this new iPhone so you know... I'd make a backup if I were you.

Last edited:

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I did so and no they remained on the phone , although I have like 10 photos on this new iPhone so you know... I'd make a backup if I were you.

and what happens when you re-enable photos? does it match photos with those in the cloud???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.