Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azz0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Hello

http://imgur.com/fWUhi7V,JwPxBsX,VmJn6Pf#0

As the above would suggest, I have a very large photo library that I want to sync to iCloud.

I have enabled this, I have enough storage space, I have left my Mac on with a connection for over a day and it now seems to have stopped syncing my library @ 20GB.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to kick start the upload?

mjdindc

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
Same issue

I have a photo library of 909 pics on the machine that i installed Photo on. After 16 hours, about 35 pics are displaying on Photos in the iCloud, and 25 on my iPhone. All of the folders do display, just empty or incomplete. Nothing displayed in share Shared Photo section for the first 14 hours. About two hours ago, it slowly populated. There are still 3 empty shared folders and 2 that are incomplete. Nothing has changed in the last 45 minutes with those.

There have been occasions when Photo was using more than 75% of the total CPU, but will then go back down to zero. Its total memory usage is typically just over 1 GB.

My existing iPhoto library was about 3.5 GB. Photo created one that is 6.9 GB. I had been hoping that so much resided in the cloud it would be smaller rather than bigger. The pics by themselves are about 4 GB.

I have been reporting all of this to Apple. So far I am not impressed with the app at all and not sure how it would work with my complete photo library of about 75 GB. Not sure I am like the way it works to pay for an upgrade in storage to allow all of the pics to sync or what that would do to the iPhone or iPad in terms of storage.

azz0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I've just left feedback to, glad I'm not the only one!

mjdindc

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
After another 18 hours, less than 10 more pics have syncs across. Except that on some evils I am getting duplicates. I think I have hit a brink wall in the sync and no more will sync. I have plenty of iCloud storage space and space on the devices.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
My backup stalled about two days ago. It uploaded about 100 photos but has been stick with 5900 still waiting to be uploaded for about 48 hours.

Has anyone found a solution yet? I've tried restarting Photos, restarting my machine and pausing/unpausing.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I have the same issue but in the opposite direction, I have about 6000 photos stored in iCloud, but Photos for Mac beta only downloads about 1200 and then refuses to download or display any more.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I tried stopping the upload and then restarting it on my Mac and received this error message:

Select referenced files in your library and choose “Consolidate” from the File menu to copy the original files into the library.

The problem is I don't know what "referenced files" they are referring to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.