iCloud Photos on a 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themoffster, Dec 20, 2015.

1. themoffster macrumors regular

I've got a 6S for a Christmas present for the wife. She currently has a 5C which has absolutely no space on it as it's all taken up with photos.
    I back these photos up to my iMac manually from time to time, but she does not want any photos deleted as they are of the family.
    I was going to get the iCloud storage monthly subscription thing where you can store all the photos in your iCloud storage automatically and thus can free up space on the phone.

Can anyone tell me exactly how that will work? I can't make it into an Apple store due to work commitments and I would like to have it all setup for Christmas Day if possible.

My concerns are around her losing any photos.
    Also if I subscribe her to this iCloud storage, how to all photos get backed up?
    Can she still keep the 'My Albums' she has on her phone even though everything should now be coming from the cloud?

2. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

Hoping to see an answer to this question also.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but....
    There are many ways to manage photos on an iDevice, and each of those ways has several nuances associated with it.
    Your best bet is to do a search, spend a couple of hours reading, and make a determination of how you want to do it.

If your wife has very many photos, and even if you decided to use iCloud, and started right now, all the photos won't be in iCloud by tomorrow, unless you have blazingly fast internet, and they certainly won't be downloaded to the new phone by then. You didn't give the storage size of the phone, or the storage requirement of the photos, sooo.....