iCloud photos on iPhone/iPad - download question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Jazz76, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Jazz76 macrumors newbie

Jazz76

Hi all

This might be an obvious question, but it's been tricky to find an answer: I've uploaded my photos to iCloud, (around 10,000) of them. I've turned on 'optimise iPhone storage'. From previous tests, when I click on a photo, the little download wheel in the bottom right hand corner appears, which implies that the photo has been downloaded to my phone. Let's say I viewed all 10,000 photos like this - would they all download to the phone? Would this 'reset' if I turned the phone off? I'd like the photos to remain off the phone, regardless if I've viewed them or not...
    Thanks in advance.

2. iubhounds macrumors regular

iubhounds

I'm not sure this will answer your question but I was wanting the same limits ... the amount of photos downloaded automatically to my iPhone, which is only a 16Gb HD.

For instance I take a lot of photo with my camera card and did NOT want all the photos imported into my iMac Photos from my camera card to go to my iPhone. The only way I have been able to do this is by going to my Mac, opening Photos, go to preferences and unclick "Photo Stream".

I think download large sized photos from my camera card to my iMac which serves as my main photo library.

When I want to download photos taken with my iPhone into that Photos library, I do the reverse ... go into preferences and click a check into Photo Stream.

I do this each time depending where my new photos are coming from, either the iPhone or the camera card. So far this method has worked even though it's a PIA, until Apple decides to fix it.