iCloud Photos problem

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by soaddk, Jan 13, 2015.

1. soaddk, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

soaddk macrumors newbie

Hi there

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5S to an iPhone 6. I have around 20GB of photos and videos which I sync'ed using iCloud Photos (beta, i know).

So when I got my new iPhone and restored from iCloud backup it started to download the 20GB of photos (full resolution download). It took a few days, but it eventually got there. 20 gigs local and 20 gigs in the cloud.

This was a week ago. Now suddenly i check the usage on my phone and it says that the local storage uses 33 GB for photos and videos. If I check my iCloud storage it says that the iCloud Photo Library uses 20 GB.

So why is there 10 GB extra on my phone? There are no extra images on my phone compared to icloud, so I'm a little confused.

It seems to work normally besides the extra 10 GB, but my phone is only 64 GB so it's kind of annoying that the phone has 10 GB less space.

Have anyone else experienced this?

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

What's your maximum iCloud storage? 20 GB? I had a theory but if you say that there are no extra images then I don't know have a solution.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Is it feasible to check through your photos to see if you have any duplicate photos and videos? That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.

Alternatively, wipe your phone and repeat the process to see if the issue persists?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

On your phone go to the photo app--albums---recently deleted.

They will stay there for up to 40 days and take up space. You can manually delete them though. That may be the problem.

5. soaddk thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo! Thanks. That's why. Had a load of videos from a work project which i didn't need anymore - around 10 GB. That has got to be it.

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys!

/Jan, Denmark

6. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Minor correction: 30 days.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

it actually says, "up to 40 days" once you are in the deleted album.