iCloud photos share between two Apple IDs

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bluestarCVO, Jun 20, 2014.

1. bluestarCVO macrumors member

bluestarCVO

I wonder if there will be a way, when iCloud photos is released, that two different Apple IDs will be able to access the same photo database. For instance, my wife and I each have our on Apple IDs. Both our phones sync wirelessly to iTunes each night and our photos are updated to match on both devices. Photos are the only reason we even bother syncing to iTunes anymore. It seems that we will be able eliminate syncing once iCloud photos is implemented, but I am worried that she will not be able to access the photo database since she uses a different iCloud ID than me. Would family sharing help in solving this issue, or is there another way that this would work.

We used to share IDs but we each have our own now because she has her own contacts, calendar, etc. So I would really like to continue using separate IDs. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Until it's actually out, no one can really answer this 100%.

Family Sharing may end up doing the trick though.

3. kremer4 macrumors member

I'm doing this right now on IOS 7.1.1, or really any IOS.
    On my wife's phone I use my account as the main iCloud. I uncheck everything except photos, and then I add my iCloud account for mail, contacts, calendar, etc.

Then under messenger and facetime on her phone I change the account to hers since by default it will be mine, so my wife's phone whenever she takes photos goes to my photo stream which imports into iPhoto and I can see the pics on my phone and vice versa. Everything else on her phone is all her account info.

4. bluestarCVO thread starter macrumors member

bluestarCVO

Yeah, I used to do ours the exact same way. But then she started messing things up, turning on contacts and calendar merging everything together. Even deleted them all one time. Then she kep messing with iMessage so that she was receiving my texts by "mistake". It was just a pain. That's why I set her up on her own iCloud ID. But I sure wish we could still share all our photos easily.

5. kremer4 macrumors member

Yeah so did mine, so I turned on restrictions so she couldn't make account changes.

But I'm also really hoping the iCloud family will allow a family icloud users to share the same photo stream.