iCloud/Protected AAC vs. Purchased AAC

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by bsake, Jul 9, 2013.

1. bsake macrumors newbie

I recently got an iPhone 4S and needed to upgrade my iTunes to accommodate it. I noticed that I had duplicate song tracks, the difference being protected AAC vs. purchased AAC. The odd thing is most of these tracks were ripped from my CD collection. The only difference I see is that the purchased AACs are in the iCloud, while the protected AACs are not. If I were to delete one, which one should I delete? Does it matter? I have a iPod Classic, so the iCloud doesn't really matter much to me...Thanks

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Protected AAC will be files you've bought from the iTunes store which have DRM that stop them from being played on other devices and will only play in iTunes if it is authorised with the account used to buy them.

Purchased AAC files are ones you've purchased fro the iTunes store which do not have the DRM restrictions that the protected files do.

Most countries stores no longer sell protected AAC files, I think the only exception now is the Japanese iTunes store.

It may also be worth checking the nitrate, though the purchased files should be better (higher nitrate, no restrictions).