iCloud puzzle over iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lankyman, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I'm wondering if anyone here has a definitive answer to this question? I like millions of others use Google for email though I use Apple.mail as the client for email and iCal as the client for Google calendar events. Question - given what I have just said, what is the point of iCloud for iCal? Short of Google crashing I can view my calendar events on any of my Mac devices or Windows for that matter as well as Google on the web. What can iCloud offer in this situation?

2. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

From the lack of response can I assume others are just as puzzled by iCloud?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For calendar only, I agree with you iCloud calendar sync is redundant if you are using Google already to sync. There are many other features of iCloud you still might find useful though. You can enable some features while leaving others (like calendar sync) off.

4. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Glad to see this thread. I'm looking for a way to sync my all of my devices' calendars (Outlook 2011 on an iMac and a 2012 MBA, and an iPad) without upgrading my hosted email account to Exchange. Upgrading my iMac from SL to ML would give me iCloud to do the syncing, but I don't see any other reason to upgrade to ML.

How does Google work? For example, if I create an appointment in Outlook on my iMac, does Outlook then sync it to iCal, which publishes it to Google, which pushes it out to my other two devices?

5. steve123 macrumors regular

If you do not use Google, then iCloud makes a lot of sense for calendaring especially if you use a Mac and an iOS device. My big issue at the moment is that OS X lacks support for multiple google contact accounts. I have at least three accounts on Google that I would like to sync with my Mac under OS X and I cannot do so. If Apple would publish the iCloud API, the sync could be done in the cloud using zapier between iCloud and Google. Then you would likely only have to sync the iCloud account to a Mac or iOS device, provided you could label the Google contacts.

I would even settle for multiple account support in Contacts.app. :) Such an important function would make my life easier when using my Macs.

I do not understand why Apple has not addressed this yet! ;)

6. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm puzzled by your post as I have three Google accounts all of which are synced to my iMac and my iPad.

7. steve123 macrumors regular

Three Google accounts on your Mac's Contacts.app application? I think you may be referring to email accounts?

If you have multiple Google contact accounts syncing with your mac, how did you accomplish this? To my knowledge you can ony sync one Google account with Contacts.app on the Mac. I am able to sync multiple accounts on my iOS devices, but not on my mac.