Icloud question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mncmoore, Sep 10, 2011.

1. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

Is icloud's 5GB per device or is that going to be per account? Because if most of is have an iPad, iPhone, and an iPod and it is only per account then the 5GB may not be enough.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Please someone answer this question:
    Are iCloud accounts and Apple ID's the same thing?

My entire family uses the same Apple ID to buy Apps, music, or books; yet everyone has their own set of devices. I have an iPhone, an iPad and 2 Macs. My dad has an iPad and an iPhone. My mom has an iPhone and a PC.

Would our AppleID be our iCloud account? In order to avoid having to rebuy apps, do we have to share all of our calendars, photos, and reading lists? OR can we each have our own iCloud accounts, separate from the AppleID?

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This thought never crossed my mind, but having to backup an iPad and an iPhone might take up quite a bit of room. Is there any way of knowing how space a backup will take prior to backing up a particular device?

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Each Apple I.D owns its own iCloud. So your entire family would have to share that one I.Ds storage capacity.

----------

Any music, videos or applications do not count towards your storage limit. Music and video CAN count towards it if you did not purchase the said content from iTunes.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So basically it's only my apps/app data that will count unless I want it to include my "outside iTunes" purchased music/videos? (If I'm understanding correctly).

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

103apps on iphone, lots on pad, lots of photos. 1.8gb for both.

Apps themselves don't count, just their user data.

7. Frankenstein macrumors member

Short answer: You are fine. You can register and manage multiple iCloud accounts per apple ID.

Long answer from apple support forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3102518?start=0&tstart=0

8. shandyman Suspended

when you go into back up it tells you what size the next backup will be at that time, you can individually turn apps off from backing up too. Spotify for me wanted to use over 1Gb so disabled that lol.

9. mncmoore thread starter macrumors regular

mncmoore

What about digital copies of movies? I'm assuming no?

10. shandyman Suspended

VLC did on mine.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Okay that's good. Thanks guys.