Icloud question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnLiMiTeD558, Oct 7, 2011.

1. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors regular

I had a quick question in regards to this I cloud being released. The basic idea behind it is to store your media and other files on the cloud and access them that way. Now i was wondering, do you HAVE to use icloud? I travel to places where i do not have cell reception and would like to have everything stored onto my phone as it is now.

Also would it not cost you a fortune on your data plan to having to keep accessing icloud for your media? Maybe im missing something, i havent read much into it

2. scootaru macrumors 6502

I don't think you actually stream from the cloud. I think you just use it to back up your iPhone and act as sort of a go-between for your phone and home computer.

3. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

So I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4 with a 4s on the way.... I realize I will have to update to 5.0 on the 12th but when does the cloud get switched on? Does it automatically get flipped on once it recognizes a device with 5.0 or are they flipping the switch on the 12 with the release of 5.0?

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

iCloud goes live when iOS5 is released, but you won't automatically use it, when/if you to want to use iCloud you simply sign into it using your apple ID, if you never sign into it you will never use it.

5. rkahl macrumors 65816

don't confuse iCloud for iTunes and iCloud, they are two different things. iCloud for iTunes keeps all your music purchased from iTunes in the cloud. iTunes match will match your music library with theirs in the iCloud, but the free iCloud and purchased storage for iCloud will not store anything other than iWork documents, mail, notes, contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and photos. So don't buy extra storage for iCloud if you thing you are going to use it like iDisk.

6. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'm running the IOS5 GM right now on my iPad2 and iPhone4...iCloud shows up under Settings but I'm unable to log in using my Apple ID.

If you go to the Apple website...it shows "iCloud Coming Soon". I haven't seen any official Apple announcement on availability...but since iCloud is a key feature for IOS5...I'm sure iCloud will be up and running on October 12th...the release date of IOS5.

7. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks, had me worried because i go out of cell range a lot with my job so i need to have everything ON the phone lol

8. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

It will only sync/backup when you have it charging and connected to wifi. iTunes match, if you decide to get that will download a song from the cloud if you try to play it - even over 3g. Photostream will automatically add any picture you take from your camera roll to the cloud.

You can turn all of these features on or off as you like, but Apple's made it so most high data intensive processes require a wifi connection.

9. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular