icloud question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twisted-pixel, May 20, 2013.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

hi,

hope this is the right place to ask, but apologies if it isn't

basically, I have itunes installed on my pc at home and sync my phone to it when I need to update music etc. Right now, I'm at work and have just ripped a CD to mp3 (my laptop at home doesn't have a CD-ROM). so, now I have to transfer the music to a USB drive, take it home, copy it to my laptop etc etc.

I was thinking about icloud. Can I just sync my music to the cloud via whatever PC I happen to be on, and then have it download to my phone? I don't want to stream it cos that will use data everytime I want to hear a song. I want my phone to effectively sync over the air to an itunes in the cloud.

is that how it works?

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Not exactly.
    A service similar to what you're thinking of is iTunes Match. It's $24.99 a year and will sync all of your music to iCloud (even music not purchased from iTunes). For music not purchased from iTunes (like the CD you ripped) it would have to be loaded to your iTunes library on your computer. Then it would be available through iCloud. Some streaming and data usage does apply.
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

3. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

ok..thanks...if I have to load it through itunes I may as well stick with what I've got.