iCloud questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DELTAsnake, Oct 11, 2011.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I want to use iCloud but I'm still a little unsure how it will work for me.

First, am I correct that it's not a full backup and it will not backup my music, videos and podcast?

Second, I have my iPad setup with different apps than on my iPhones. Will iCould keep my iPhone and iPad app backups separate or will they be lumped together? Or is the app backup just backing up data and not the apps them selves since your supposed to be able to redownload them anytime?

Third, is the 5gb free for each device or is it for all your devices total?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. iTunes doesn't back-up your music/movies/podcast either

2. iPad, iPhone and iPod touch backups are all kept separate (just like in iTunes).
    [​IMG]

3. 5GB is shared for all of the devices that use the same Apple ID.

3. cshearer macrumors regular

As far as I've experienced the backups, it's much the same as an iTunes backup. Second, the backups are separate, therefore restoring your iPad won't put iPhone apps on it. Third, it's for one account. All of your backups will count against one account.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I can answer number 2- iCloud just backs up your App data. The App Store does keep track of your purchased apps though, which makes it easy to see which ones you haven't installed on your iPad or iPhone, and makes them readily available for redownload.

EDIT - People provided better answers faster. boo //slow

5. 2010RS macrumors 6502

If your iPhone backup is password-protected, will you need the password to backup the info or download it on the other devices?

6. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

7. cshearer macrumors regular

[​IMG]

I've never really thought about it, but looking at my iCloud backup, I don't see it. I do know what you're talking about; it's obvious in iTunes. I could be wrong, but maybe logging into iCloud is enough security for them?

8. 2010RS macrumors 6502

I sure hope so. Because I'll be damned if I ever set an iTunes backup password, and without it, my backups are useless.

9. Ramrod82 macrumors member

Ramrod82

Sorta dumb question will i be able to watch my movies on my laptop on my iPad/iPhone through icloud/match?

10. cshearer macrumors regular

Yeah, don't take my observations too far. I haven't entirely made the switch to iCloud backups, so I'm still learning how it works. I'm sure there's a way somewhere in settings.

That, or if you already have a password enabled in iTunes, it's possible it might carry it over.

Unfortunately I don't believe so. It appears to only be for music specifically.

11. irDigital0l Guest

I have a iPhone 4 and my mom has a iPhone 4 and we both use the same iTunes account to buy stuff and both sync our devices to our home PC.

So would I need to make a new iTunes account so iCloud doesn't screw everything up?

Also can we make multiple iCloud/iTunes accounts using the same credit card but different emails?

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Not with iTunes Match, you need to setup Home Sharing.

Computer
    iTunes> Advanced> Turn on Home Sharing

iOS device.
    Settings> Music or Videos> Home Sharing

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]