iCloud Receiving Slower on BlackBerry...?!

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by joelstanley, Feb 13, 2012.

1. joelstanley macrumors newbie

hello...
    I have a blackberry bold 9900 and an iPhone 4S
    both have my iCloud email address on them
    when I test multiple emails to both phones (I have talk21.com and gmail.com) they are all instant and on my iPhone the me.com is instant however on my blackberry, emails to me.com take from 1 minute - 1 hour
    I know it's a fault with blackberry as it's instant on iPhone and all other email addresses but not sure if it's a setting or something more complex
    please help, thank you
    Joel Stanley

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I assume you went to BIS setup and put in your login credentials? This means the BB server "pulls" email from your .me account using POP and pushes email to you when it finds new email. This is much slower than a direct IMAP connection to iCloud and is one of the root causes of RIM's demise. RIM grew to fame with push email. BB email was reliable and fast. But the same thing that brought RIM to the top is now killing them. iCloud and Gmail and many other email providers offer IMAP. Android and iOS and webOS and many other devices are capable of IMAP "push" email without any need for an intermediate server. That is they connect to the same server that a desktop email program would use.

RIM's recent widely publicized server outages, along with their outdated OS and relatively slow push email performance combine to create a perfect storm of poor customer experience. I noticed this when I had an iPod Touch in the pocket with my Blackberry. I would get email on my 'touch from my mobile me account before it showed up on my BB. I knew then that I could switch to iPhone and have the same or better email performance I was getting from RIM.