Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splitting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Lancs, UK
Ok. I've had it. You guys are my last resort. Please help.

I have an iPhone 4S and an ipad 3.

On a daily basis I flip between the two devices setting mainly reminders and also calendar events using the stock apps.

They will not push between the 2 devices reliably. I set some reminders on my ipad before I go to work in the morning? They're not pushed to my iphone. Set a reminder on my iphone at work for me do at home? It won't be there on my ipad.

On iOS 6 when I opened the stock apps they would manually refresh and the reminders would populate and appear. It was far from ideal but as long as I remembered to manually open the app from time to time I wouldn't miss a reminder.

I was hoping iOS 7 would sort it out. It hasn't. It's worse. Now they don't update when I open the app. Now even when I force close the app and then open it, it won't refresh. I now have to turn icloud reminders off in settings and turn it back on again. So much for 'it just works...'

Can anyone help out? Does anyone have the same problem? I've tried everything. Everything is set to push. Every possible setting has been changed and troubleshooted to see if it fixed it. I've logged out of icloud on both devices and back in again. I've restored the phone and set everything up from new. It works ok (maybe) for a few hours and then, again, a reminder won't be pushed over between one of the devices.

It's not the phone. Exactly the same thing happened on my 3GS. It's doing my head in. The gmail app pushes my email to me flawlessly 100% of the time. Why can't an apple stock app sync between iphone and ipad?

Thanks...

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I just noticed this problem too. Everything worked flawlessly on iOS 6, but since upgrading to 7 iCloud has been having trouble keeping my iPhone and iPad in sync.

I'm also curious to see if someone out there has a solution to this. If not, hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I just noticed this problem too. Everything worked flawlessly on iOS 6, but since upgrading to 7 iCloud has been having trouble keeping my iPhone and iPad in sync.

I'm also curious to see if someone out there has a solution to this. If not, hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.

Having the same issue on 7. Worked perfectly on 6

Apfeldirektsaft

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I fixed it by disabling iCloud on the device and than enable it again (this may activate backup in the cloud - so you have to manually disable it if you don't need it). Unfortunately they aren't pushed but at least they sync when you open the app. Does Reminders and Calendar push work for anyone here?

Splitting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Lancs, UK
Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone confirm that, yes, it works for them? That you set reminders on your ipad and any alerts are always there pushed to your iphone? It's just never worked reliably for me over a THREE year period. It's infuriating because it's such basic functionality and important for productivity...

Otherwise anyone got any suggestions of alternative apps? Or would they all go thru iCloud and suffer the same problem?

Thanks.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I tested between my mac w/ lion and my 5S, wrote in the calendar of the 5S and got synced and uploaded to my mac iCal in 2 secs. So at least for me it's loading them into the cloud. Delete it from my mac and it has not been erased from my phone, so it might be an issue of iOS7 not pushing external modified stuff into the iOS calendar app? I created an even in iCal got pushed to the phone, then I deleted it from mac iCal, but is still showing in my phone. Weird stuff, there might be a delay for modifications so I'm gonna see what happens in a few minutes...

Splitting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Lancs, UK
Thanks carlanga.

I don't have a Mac so can't test that. I'm not sure that it's an iOS7 problem. The same thing happened on 5 and 6 as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I can live with 99% reliability but the 30% success rate in having things push between iphone & ipad is not good enough.

stephen1989

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
hi love the ios 7 don't have problem with that or my iPhone 5 to me look like to me you are not setting your phone up properly

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
i'm having the same problem with my iPhone 5. I set the Reminder to remind me on a location when I leave at work or arrive at home. And I've also set the distance on when and where to remind me. But for some reason, the reminder won't activate not until i maybe press the home button to wake it up from standby. And yes I made sure I set the distance to the shortest distance as possible but even if i'm like really far like 5 miles, the reminder is still not activating! :mad:

Splitting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Lancs, UK
i'm having the same problem with my iPhone 5. I set the Reminder to remind me on a location when I leave at work or arrive at home. And I've also set the distance on when and where to remind me. But for some reason, the reminder won't activate not until i maybe press the home button to wake it up from standby. And yes I made sure I set the distance to the shortest distance as possible but even if i'm like really far like 5 miles, the reminder is still not activating! :mad:

It's funny u mention that. I set a location based reminder today to remind me of something when I left work. Used to work fine on iOS 6. Would ping me about 500 yards from my workplace.

Today? Nothing,nothing at all. Didn't even alert me when I got home 9 miles away and connected to my home wifi.

What is going on?

david77

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I have a somewhat similar problem. The first being that the app badge doesn't work correctly (or how I would expect to it to) in iOS. I set reminders and got alerts but no badges on the app. I marked a task a complete in iOS, then opened Reminders in OS X and then the same task got marked uncompleted. I've had the same issue repeatedly. Very annoying.

----------

Your best bet is to contact Apple's customer support. There's nothing else you can do.

Kind of hard to rely on that when the issues have been ongoing for such a long time.

Last edited:

Splitting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Lancs, UK
As the OP, thought I'd provide an update.

Things have improved. I've changed nothing my end. I'm tired of fiddling with settings.

But things seem to be much better. Now reminders are pushing between ipad and iphone well. It's still a long way from flawless, but it's much, much improved.

One further problem I've had though is that my top-level lists in reminders seem to reorder themselves every now and again.

Calendar events are also syncing very reliably now.

Anyway I guess someone, somewhere at Apple has done some work on this their end.

Cheers.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I'm glad the issue has resolved for you. Unfortunately I'm still experiencing the problem. I create a lot of lists on my Macbook Air and need them to show up on my iPhone. This worked perfectly in iOS 6. It was very reliable and I was impressed with how quickly it updated. Now, ever since updating to iOS 7, it's extremely hit or miss. Un-syncing the Reminders app in the iCloud settings and then re-syncing it seems to fix the problem, but only for a few days. I feel like it's most likely an iOS 7 issue as I haven't changed anything else on my end and it went from working 100% of the time to less than 50%.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
As the OP, thought I'd provide an update.

Things have improved. I've changed nothing my end. I'm tired of fiddling with settings.

But things seem to be much better. Now reminders are pushing between ipad and iphone well. It's still a long way from flawless, but it's much, much improved.

One further problem I've had though is that my top-level lists in reminders seem to reorder themselves every now and again.

Calendar events are also syncing very reliably now.

Anyway I guess someone, somewhere at Apple has done some work on this their end.

Cheers.

Mine have been improving as well. Haven't really had any issues in a few weeks. Maybe it had something to do with the 7.0.x updates..I'm running 7.0.3 on iPad 4 and iPhone 5S fwiw

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Mine have been improving as well. Haven't really had any issues in a few weeks. Maybe it had something to do with the 7.0.x updates..I'm running 7.0.3 on iPad 4 and iPhone 5S fwiw

No hope here on 7.0.4 on all devices. My wife and I share a grocery list and whenever she adds/deletes items my iPhone does not see them. What I have tried (fix??) is to open the calendar app on the iOS device, then open the Reminders app. This seems to get a sync started.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone confirm that, yes, it works for them? That you set reminders on your ipad and any alerts are always there pushed to your iphone? It's just never worked reliably for me over a THREE year period. It's infuriating because it's such basic functionality and important for productivity...

Otherwise anyone got any suggestions of alternative apps? Or would they all go thru iCloud and suffer the same problem?

Thanks.

I have 4 iDevices in use (two iPhone 5S, iPad Air and iPad 4). Both calendar and reminders are synced instantly via iCloud with all 4 devices plus 2 iMacs.

It does take some tweaking of settings to get it all working correctly.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Ugh!

I am running a iPhone 4s and an iPad Air as well as a Mac Mini, everything syncs beautifully, mail, browser/safari/bookmarks, calendar, contacts et. BUT Notes and Reminders App on my iPad Air do not sync with my iPhone4s. Running IOS7 on iPhone 4s and iPad Air and IOS 10.7.5 on my Mac Mini.

I have gone into iCloud settings on my iPad Air as suggested and disabled Notes and Reminders Aps manually and then gone back and enabled but still nothing. :(

BTW, how are you guys syncing your Reminders and Notes to your desktop/laptop Macs? I don't even see those Apps? All I have are Stickies...perhaps because I am behind a few OS's on my Mac Mini, still running 10.7.5 and maybe the Notes and Reminders Aps are part of IOS7 on the Mac Mini?

Still, regardless of that, I don't know why my iPad Air and iPhone 4s sync everything beautifully EXCEPT the Notes and Reminders Aps which are very important to me...

Any insight or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you!

kenm22

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
iCloud Sync

In the iPhone Settings/Mail, Contact, Calendars/Fetch New Data turn on push and set iCloud to Push. You can set fetch to manually if you want and set your email for whatever you want. This will speed up transfers from the cloud.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I haven't seen many people having issues with contacts having sync issues since new contacts don't sync to OSX or to my iPad. I'll get a text on my iPhone and add the contact but I only get a phone number on OSX iMessage and the same on my iPad or I'll manually have to add the number on other devices. Pretty annoying.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the replies.

Never had an issue with any of the iOS versions. One thing you could check, which might be part of the issue (and I don't recall you mentioning) is verify that you have push for iCloud turned on. I've had friends turn off push trying to save battery and not have things turn up

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Never had an issue with any of the iOS versions. One thing you could check, which might be part of the issue (and I don't recall you mentioning) is verify that you have push for iCloud turned on. I've had friends turn off push trying to save battery and not have things turn up

I've always had iCloud push set. The only way I get the iDevice to update reminders is to first open the calendar app, wait for it to sync (1-2 secs), then everything gets synced. I believe even though apple split the calendar and reminders into separate apps, reminders is still tied to their calendar infrastructure. Feedback sent to apple.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
All reminders and calendar events sync perfectly between all my devices (iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Air) including notifications. Notifications also sync between all three now as well (i.e. if I hit the X on iOS 7 on either the iPad or iPhone, the redundant notification also disappears on my other two devices...i.e. notification sync).

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I've always had iCloud push set. The only way I get the iDevice to update reminders is to first open the calendar app, wait for it to sync (1-2 secs), then everything gets synced. I believe even though apple split the calendar and reminders into separate apps, reminders is still tied to their calendar infrastructure. Feedback sent to apple.

Resurrecting an old post but I don't care. This solution seems to work. Hopefully Apple will fix this in iOS8. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.