icloud remote wipe not working with JB 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jalman11, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jalman11 macrumors member

So... This will sound dumb.

Yes, I forgot my password (before you go and accuse me of theifdom, read).

I am in possession of my iphone and itunes. After locking myself out, it says connect to itunes. I want to avert a restore at ALL COSTS so i do not lose my jailbreak.

Iphone 4S - 5.0.1 - I have SBSettings installed.

Logged into my account via iCloud - attempted remote wipe, so I could have a fresh 5.0.1. After initially showing the Apple logo -- I got the spinning symbol for well over an hour... Hard Reset.

I rebooted, then used SBsettings to get phone to reboot in safe mode (without unlocking, of course). Again -- remote wipe via iCloud will not work.

I am running out of guesses to try and keep my phone on 5.0.1.

Does anyone have suggestions for how I could restore to 5.0.1? Extracting my passcode from itunes backups will not work, because I never got to backup with the new passcode I just set.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In cases of "lost password" I am always hesitant to offer support, but here is an Apple page ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Also, is thiefdom (or theifdom) a word ?

3. jalman11 thread starter macrumors member

So... I expected that response. Honestly, I could very easily do a restore but that would put me at 5.1. When I try to guess my password, the phone becomes disabled to the point where I must connected to my iTunes to enable me to continue guessing passcodes. Again, at this point I could restore-- problem solved. The real issue at hand is trying to preserve 5.0.1.

As mentioned, the remote wipe via iCloud seems to be blocked by something in the jailbreak. Do you suppose there is a way I could preserve 5.0.1? Or am I screwed....

4. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

And that is a good thing. Wiping a jailbroken phone will leave it unbootable, with no other option than restoring (to 5.1, unfortunately, if it is a 4S).

When you jailbreak a significant part of the OS is moved from the system partition to the user partition, to make space for JB stuff that will only run if placed on the system partition. If you wipe the phone, the user partition is deleted and half the operating system is gone. I do not think it is possible to recover from this short of a complete restore, but I could be wrong.

By the way: If you have SSH installed or access though iExplorer or similar, it theoretically *might* be possible to recover the password, although I do not know how.

5. jalman11 thread starter macrumors member

ah

That actually makes sense, however, when I've traded in my JB phone for a new one -- I just hit "Erase all Settings & Content" in the settings tab, and boom I had a brand spanking new phone. Or maybe my memory is misfiring.

I assumed remote wipe did the same thing. In any event, SSH was not installed... AND I finally restored my phone and am now without a JB :mad:

Here's to hoping a new JB comes relatively soon. Thx for help.