iCloud removing primary email addres,

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by EdgardasB, Oct 6, 2016.

1. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Hello, I have searched for this issue over the internet however haven't found anything. So the issue is - long time ago I have registered Apple account with Gmail email address oldname@gmail.con. Automatically it assigned primary iCloud email oldname@icloud. I have added additional aliases. Some months ago I have changed my Apple account primary email to new one newname@hotmail.com. What I have noticed that primary iCloud email address still is being shown as oldname@icloud.com and it can't be deleted.
    So is it possible to get rid off that oldname@icloud.com email address without registering new Apple account? Because I have made a lot of purchases and it is not possible to transfer them -.-'
    Thanks.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Where exactly do you see the primary iCloud address? And why do you want to remove it?

There is a difference between the Apple ID (which is the address you use as an ID to login e.g. at iCloud.com) and iCloud email addresses (which are the icloud.com addresses you can be reached at). If you originally used a non-iCloud email address as your Apple ID, you cannot switch to an iCloud address as the Apple ID, so your Hotmail address should still be the Apple ID. If you log in to appleid.apple.com, you should see both your Apple ID and your reachable addresses at the top of the page.

3. EdgardasB thread starter macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

I see it at www.icloud.com, mail, preferences and tab where is email address and aliases. I would like to remove because with that email I get tons of spam and other reasons.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it is not. Your options are using an alias like you mentioned or making a new account.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

You could always create a rule that automatically moves all emails addressed to this address to the trash. You can of course continue using the aliases.