Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hermolicious84

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Columbia, MO
My desktop and documents folders are synced by iCloud. I had a presentation that I thought I had saved in the Documents folder, and only after I cleared a bunch of (seemingly) unneeded files from my Desktop did I realize that I had left the presentation there.

I immediately did a quick Google search on how to recover iCloud files that have been recently deleted, and it leads me to:
icloud.com > Account Settings > Restore Files

However, none of the files that I had recently deleted from my synced Desktop, including the presentation and at least 6 other files synced and then deleted in MacOS in the past day, are even showing up as restorable. I don't really understand this.

Services such as Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive seem to keep a detailed history of all synced files that have been deleted, and I have had a very good history with being able to look back and find a file that I wanted that had previously been removed. From this experience, the iCloud version of 'Restore File' seems pretty limited and useless.

Is there any other way to find the file I recently deleted from the Desktop? iCloud seems to have no record of it existing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.