iCloud restore is so SLOW!!

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Badrottie, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

It takes almost 2 hours with new iPhone 4s!!! I am thinking iCloud is worthless…do you agree?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not surprised at the speed. For one thing, you're dealing with wifi speeds and network bandwidth. I'm not sure where the bottleneck is, could be apple's servers or your wifi. To be honest restoring gigabytes of data via iCloud, I don't think 2 hours is all that unreasonable.

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

And how often do you restore to have the speed really matter? I would think the fact that you can buy a new iPhone, iPad, etc, enter your iCloud credentials and have your new device look and work like your old one is worth the wait. Imagine how long it would take to download all your apps, music and video files, mail, reset your custom settings and enter all your contacts manually if you had no computer and no iCloud???

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I've used iCloud restore twice. It took less than 5 minutes each time. That's on 12Mb ADSL.

OP, you need to fix your internet connection before starting to whine about iCloud, because there's nothing wrong with iCloud, it's your suckky internet.

5. locust76 macrumors 6502a

So you restored your phone's settings, redownloaded all apps, music and videos, all in under 5 minutes?

The process of restoring the device's settings goes fast, but the content is what takes time. OP was not clear and didn't actually say what he was waiting on.

I did a restore on my phone using my 64 megabit cable connection. The phone was usable in just a little longer than a reboot, but the several gigs of apps and music took the longest.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not worthless, but it has it's limitations. I'm backing up both locally and to iCloud to keep my options open.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Took me nearly 24 hours to restore my iPhone 4 on a 24MBit connection.

8. vk3vbr macrumors newbie

Au contraire, I have 100mbps cable, a 4.5GB iCloud backup and am being quoted -12 hours- to restore my phone (802.11n wifi - phone next to the router) and nothing else using the connection.

The issue is iCloud.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

You got your data back didn't you?

If the answer is yes it has done its job.

10. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

11. auscraig macrumors newbie

Untrue.

I have 24mb ADSL2 connection (actually get around 20mbs) and it took me over 10 hours to restore - thankfully I didn't have my photos stored on iCloud or I'd probably still be waiting.

If you read Apple's blurb - it's all 'seamless'...well I can tell you it's certainly not 'painless'. It took me over 10 hours to restore about 2GB of data and apps.

Apple are great with the adjectives - "revolutionary", "magical" etc...I wonder what what they can come up with for really, REALLY slow?

An hour or two - sure - but all day? No. That's an entire day without my phone on the air while i-Cloud does it's snail impersonation. My phone had signal but was not able to make or receive calls.

And for those tedious fanboi's that say 'it's free' and can never see anything ever wrong with an 'i-product', well I paid for extra storage but had (thankfully) not activated my photos to be backed up on iClould at the time. If I'd done that I'd have been off the air for days probably.

It's cable and local backup for me now - iCloud is ridiculous.

I bet if i was downloading a movie from Apple's precious i-Tunes having paid for a movie my download would be much faster...well you'd hope so?

12. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

yeah iCloud is perfect!!! Love it!

13. pogiboi macrumors regular

Anyone else having issues with iCloud today? Restores were taking forever (12+ hours) and now it's to the point where it's giving me an error "Cannot Load Backups".

14. bollyboy macrumors regular

Been slow for me all day, and finally down here in the UK :(

Attached Files:

15. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

16. jj0071 macrumors newbie

Slowwwwwwwwwwww

6MB down, 1 MB up,,,15GB takes 3 days to restore....holycrap batman...worthless service

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

The icloud backup of my 32gb iPhone is about 116MB. Shouldn't take too long to restore that. ;)

18. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

I just did a restore last night. 16GB iPhone 5, iCloud restore (with apps) in about 30 minutes. I was really surprised.

19. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

:rolleyes: might wanna do a speedtest on your connection first ... and 15GB?!? CMON !

And if indeed your are a genuine complainer , check the DNS on your WiFi connection ... if its not resolving properly to your locale (country specific) then the backup is rolled down from US server instead of CDN near your Country... hence the slowness

20. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You may not believe it, but there's a huge different between a 24Mbit internet connection and a 480Mbit USB 2.0 connection...go figure.