iCloud Restore - Jailbroken 4 -> Stock 4S

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DSchwartz88, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DSchwartz88, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

So i'm getting my shiny new 4S tomorrow, and I would love to just turn it on and have iCloud restore it.

Can anyone confirm that an iCloud/iTunes backup doesn't actually backup any jailbroken files? or the modification jailbreaking makes to the file system?

I'm also assuming even if it did, it wouldn't affect the functionality of the phone? (i.e. cause crashes to happen, etc.)

I've never actually done a restore from backup to a non jailbroken phone so any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is iOS5 to iOS5, I've been using the betas and most recently the GM.

2. AppleiPad macrumors member

I have this same question. If we do an iOS 5 iCloud backup from a jailbroken iPhone 4 and then restore an iPhone 4S using that backup, will the backup contain lots of jailbreak plists and apps and stuff?

If it does this could slow down the device and sort of defeat the purpose of the S in iPhone 4S.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think you have to wait a bit to answer that, iCloud just came out of beta and reports on restores using it have been all over the map, some with issues, some without, I personally haven't seen any from someone restoring from a JBed phone.

My personal advice, don't push your luck, be safe and restore using your computer. again, just my personal opinion.

4. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm wondering this same thing. The basic question is: does iCloud backup jailbreak files like an iTunes backup does. My gut reaction is to say: no. An iTunes backup is a full backup of the full file system of the device whereas an iCloud backup is just settings, messages, camera roll, documents, and app data. I think it is a different type of backup from an iTunes one.

Though, like I said, this is just my gut reaction. I'm very curious for someone to prove that iCloud doesn't backup jailbreak files.

Tuck

5. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ill be the guinea pig for this since im getting my phone at work. Worst comes to worst ill restore it.

6. AppleiPad macrumors member

I just restored my iPhone 4S using an iCloud backup of my non-jailbroken iPhone 4 (which had been restored from a backup of jailbroken iOS 4.3). Everything seems to have gone smoothly, can't really complain about speed.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You wont see anything with just a visual inspection, JB app are not there so the data is not visible on a fresh phone, but the data may be still bere there.

8. AppleiPad macrumors member

Yeah I'm sure it is still there, but as long as the phone is running smoothly I don't really care. I was just concerned all the JB apps and plists would slow down the new phone.

I'm probably gonna jailbreak my 4S once there's something out... I can't stand having nothing on my lock screen/no quick compose.

9. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

The extra couple megabytes of dormant documents and plists isn't what im worried abou. I'm more worried about show stoppers to be honest. Stuff like MobileSubstrate and PreferenceLoader hooks still being there and crashing the Settings app all the time, stuff like that.

10. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

From what I know, jailbreak data goes to category "other" whole seeing in iTunes. Correct me if am wrong :)

So may be a good way ti check is to see if "other"'s size increases after restoring from the jailbreak back up. If it stays intact or increases by a few mbs, then I guess its not on the file system.

11. AppleiPad macrumors member

My other is about 0.5GB, but that's gotta include other stuff. Like SMS/MMS and things like that.