iCloud restored no passwords

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by zepedro619, Apr 23, 2013.

1. zepedro619 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've restored an iPad backup on a brand new iPad, and it restored everything except all my passwords (Facebook, Dropbox, websites, wifi networks, etc).
    When i restored this backup on the previous iPad everything gone ok..

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I thought iCloud didn't store / restore passwords. When I look at iTunes summary screen - it says iCloud backs up important stuff, iTurnes all data and then if you look lower it says if you password protect your iTunes backup it backs up passwords. So I don't think the iCloud backs up passwords.

Was your last restore also from iCloud?

3. zepedro619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yes, on my previous iPad I've done 'some' restores (all via iCloud) and all of them restored all passwords. On this new iPad it even sent me two emails, one on the activation of it, and on my first purchase/download asking if it was me :p

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought I read somewhere that when you restore a backup to a different device, it doesn't restore your passwords.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

iCloud backups don't backup passwords for obvious reasons.

The only time backups ever backup passwords is when they are done in iTunes with the "Encrypt this backup with a password" option turned on.

6. zepedro619 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my first tought.. I have the same backup done via iCloud and via iTunes. Do you guys think that via iTunes it might restore them? The websites user/pass and wifi keys are the main issue to me :p

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Here more details http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859

8. zepedro619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I know for sure that on the last two restores on the previous iPad ALL passwords were restored.

9. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

We recently upgraded our iPads, twice, and wpeach time we had to enter all our passwords. Ditto for our new iPhone 5s.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Only if you had the box I previously mentioned ticked.

Then you didn't back up with iCloud, since it's never backed up passwords.

11. zepedro619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I might understand the integrated accounts as Mail Accounts, Facebook and twitter, but not restoring websites and wifi keys its kinda odd. I can try to reset it and use the backup that i've done at this moment to double check that it restores all of them.

My guess should be what was stated earlier: new device, no passwords restored.

----------

Look, I'm not doubting what you are saying, I wouldn't be stating that just to make me happier, it restored, and I will do it again to not double, not triple, but quadra check (maybe changing devices is the issue).

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1) Chances are, the device's UUID, MAC address or some other unique identifier is used as an encryption key for backed up passwords. When restoring to a different device, the key is different, and thus, the passwords can't be decrypted.
    2) In the time it took you to create this thread you could've re-entered the passwords.

13. zepedro619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had at least 2 dozens of SSID's from public/private places where I regularly use the wifi, I know I could just reenter them, as I could just re cofigure the whole iPad and re download the apps and wallpapers, instead of restoring, thats not a valid excuse, imho. Im just wondering what happened since this is my first 'upgrade' from another iDevice.