Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
My wholly factory-restored and iCloud-deleted iPhone 8 Plus still shows in Safari iCloud Tabs. My 8 day old iPhone 13 Pro Max does not show in iCloud Safari Tabs at all. (It showed up briefly last night, but disappeared again after the 15.0.1 update.) (It’s also not able to AirDrop to known iOS devices / contacts.)

I plan to call Apple Support when I’ve got time. But are there any standard tricks to try to get this new iPhone working with iCloud fully? Something’s definitely not right. And a week later, any normal account syncing issues should be fully done and resolved. I’m at a loss. And I used Safari tabs a lot.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
How'd you solve it? I have an iPad that isn’t showing up on any of my other devices still.
1) I deleted all the tabs for the old phone from the new Start page on all my devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac)
2) I went through Apple’s standard process to troubleshoot Safari Tabs syncing: disable tabs in iCloud, reboot the phone, and re-enable tabs in iCloud

Going through that got it working again.

Reactions: HailAlistair

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
1) I deleted all the tabs for the old phone from the new Start page on all my devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac)
2) I went through Apple’s standard process to troubleshoot Safari Tabs syncing: disable tabs in iCloud, reboot the phone, and re-enable tabs in iCloud

Going through that got it working again.
Thanks a lot, this worked for me. For now.

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Glad it helped!

But I sure wish iCloud tabs worked right and didn't constantly break or need recurring jiggery-pokery to try and get syncing.
Totaly. I had to do it again recently, since it stopped syncing on iPad again.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
Totaly. I had to do it again recently, since it stopped syncing on iPad again.
Same here. Sync died a week ago. Got around to toggling it on / off on devices and sync resumed.

(And so did the annoying behavior or reloading tabs to another sync state afte tapping a link. Sometimes it will take four tries to get a link to be followed without jumping back to starting point.)

Reactions: HailAlistair

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Same here. Sync died a week ago. Got around to toggling it on / off on devices and sync resumed.

(And so did the annoying behavior or reloading tabs to another sync state afte tapping a link. Sometimes it will take four tries to get a link to be followed without jumping back to starting point.)
The usual iCloud “magic”.
All Apple services have similar problems.

Actually, the state of Apple overall is dire. Everything is buggy, finicky, or generally has a lot of small and big problems.
I do miss Steve and the Apple that put design and engineering above everything else. Now sales, finance, and marketing run the show. Steve never learned how to choose CEOs.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The usual iCloud “magic”.
All Apple services have similar problems.

Actually, the state of Apple overall is dire. Everything is buggy, finicky, or generally has a lot of small and big problems.
I do miss Steve and the Apple that put design and engineering above everything else. Now sales, finance, and marketing run the show. Steve never learned how to choose CEOs.
Actually they don't for me. Every other iCloud service has been working pretty much perfectly. It's only Safari that has had problems, both with iCloud Tabs and bookmarks.

I've actually been really impressed by how well Photos, Music, Notes, and Reminders have been working. Everything stays in sync reliably without issues. For some reason Safari syncing is always broken though, and I have to wonder why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.