iCloud Storage Plan Sharing question

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by polbit, Sep 26, 2017.

1. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I tried asking two different Apple customer reps, and got two different answers... Maybe somebody here has a better answer?

I currently have a Family sharing set up with my wife, but we both have separate 200Gb iCloud plans. I want to upgrade to the 2Tb shared plan, but I need to know what happens with my wife's data/media when she joins the new plan. Does she have to back everything up again, or does it copy over automatically?

2. pj-uk macrumors member

I've got exactly the same question here and would be interested in when we "merge" data under the same iCloud subscription. I'm a bit wary of her joining the family account and then cancelling her 200GB subscription only to lose all the data stored in her icloud.

3. lie2me macrumors member

Copying files back and forth would be easier to deal with on a Mac computer.
    Just saying

4. splifingate macrumors 6502

splifingate

My s/o was having daily "cannot backup to iCloud" alerts/issues, so we decided (I convinced her) to share the same 2-tb iCloud.

She just had to accept the invitation to join, and it was a seamless transition.

afaik, all her data (which was not much, apart from the iP/iPd backups) was instantly available in our Family iCloud.

I can/could see her name, and the storage space used, but that's it. Shared CC ("Be gentle, please.").

Easy-Peasy.

I had far too many un-answered questions (I was supposed to be the "know how to do it" tech guy, so was gana have to answer when the bits hit the fan) . . . with the dearth of details provided by AAPL/sites in-general, it certainly took a certain leap of faith to pull all those triggers :)

Regards, splifingate