iCloud Storage

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Dino F, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

When your iPhone backs up to iCloud, does it overwrite the previous back up?

By that I mean, if I have 25gb of storage left on iCloud and I do a back up of 1gb, obviously the storage goes down to 24gb. But what happens if the next back that I do is 1gb, does if overwrite the first back so that the iCloud storage still shows 24gb or does it go down to 23gb?

The reason I am asking is because I've just realized that my current iCloud plan is the 25gb for £28 a year and I'm wondering if the free one(5gb) will be sufficient for iPhone backups to iCloud?

2. jaynone macrumors member

I've got an iPad and iPhone and have only used 1gig of storage on iCloud. I can't possibly think of anything to fill up that space.

It does overwrite the backups, and I don't think it has a way to maintain an archive of backups.

Until more apps come out to use the iCloud storage I think the 5gigs is more than enough for anyone.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

First backup is 1GB, each additional backup is very tiny, they are incremental.

When you do a restore, you'll have a big selection of timestamps to restore from.

The free 5GB is enough for 3 devices in my experience.

My very full 16GB iphone and ipad started out at ~400MB each, one hit 900 and the other 1100MB and have leveled off.

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I purchased the 20 GB package as well but I only use 1+ GB. I don't use iCloud for the iWork docs as I prefer the way that Dropbox works. And, Dropbox works for all types of docs & pics, etc. I use iCloud for four devices although the number of devices does not really impact on the storage needs.