iCloud Storage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dgruhn, Aug 3, 2015.

1. dgruhn, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

dgruhn macrumors newbie

In iOS does iCloud store items locally on your device? If so, why are there such large iCloud storage options if your device has limited storage? I imagine I am missing something.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's not how iCloud works with iOS.

3. dgruhn thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so if I create a pages document on my iPad it will only save to iCloud drive and not to the device itself? The document will not be available offline?

Thank you,

Dan

4. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

To my knowledge, a copy of the pages file will be stored locally, and then synced/updated to the cloud.

5. LV426 macrumors 6502a

It is possible to upload high resolution RAW images to iCloud Photos from OS X. That can take up a lot of space, maybe 40MB per photo.

When such images are subsequently downloaded to your iOS device, however, much smaller optimised versions are put on the device itself.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

essentially yes. There will be a corresponding local copy of many items such as photos. That copy might be just a thumbnail, depending on your settings.

The larger size is due to this ability to put the full size of photos in the cloud and keep a thumbnail locally, the ability to do a full backup of all data of several iOS devices in the same account etc.