Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its WWDC keynote on Monday, Apple announced that iCloud is getting a premium subscription tier called "iCloud+," which includes tentpole privacy features like Private Relay and Hide My Email. Another feature included in iCloud+ that wasn't discussed in the keynote is the ability to create a custom email domain name.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

From Apple's iOS 15 features preview page, under the iCloud+ section:
Custom email domain
Personalize your iCloud Mail address with a custom domain name, and invite family members to use the same domain with their iCloud Mail accounts.
In essence, what this means is that when iCloud+ goes live, Apple will allow users to change their iCloud Mail address completely. For instance, the email address jonnyappleseed@icloud.com could be changed to jonny@appleseed.com, forgoing the icloud domain reference entirely for a more personalized or businesslike look.

Additionally, Apple will allow users to invite family members to use the same domain name with their own iCloud Mail accounts, although it's not currently clear if family members will need to be part of Family Sharing for this to work.

For users of Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, and other email providers, this sort of email address personalization has been available for a long time, so Apple could eventually prise some customers away from the competition with this move. It remains to be seen whether custom email domains for iCloud Mail will have certain limitations that rivals don't set, though.

We've reached out to Apple for additional information. Either way, expect more details as we approach the launch of iCloud+ in the fall.

Article Link: iCloud+ to Let iCloud Mail Users Personalize Their Email Domain Name

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Ah thats cool. I am paying Microsoft for an Exchange email address that is more than I need just now.

In that case this is going to be great! For personal uses as well, where the email throughput is not high, this is a nice add-on.

Middling

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
This is a good start, but they should increase the Inbox space from 5 GB for it to make sense. As of right now, 5 GB is not worth much unless you are just starting out with iCloud as a family and are in your honeymoon period with it.

This feature is only available as part of the paid iCloud+ so you'll be paying at least $0.99/month which will get you 50GB of storage.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
It is a shame Apple can’t take care of that as well with the new feature. A one stop setup would be ideal. Still a nice feature. I may end up paying the $8 yearly domain fee (or whatever it is).

They *might* have a partnership with a domain registrar to let you create the domain name, automatically set it up, and pay for it from within the iCloud ecosystem. I think Microsoft had that on outlook.com for some time but have stopped.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
They *might* have a partnership with a domain registrar to let you create the domain name, automatically set it up, and pay for it from within the iCloud ecosystem. I think Microsoft had that on outlook.com for some time but have stopped.

They still have with GoDaddy.

Reactions: Ahmamies and bob24

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I hope this makes my life easier. I'm one of those who's been stuck with two AppleIDs that Apple won't let me merge, but I'm not sure whether this'll improve things or make it even more confusing.

I have:

me@privatedomain.com as my main AppleID for everything except email (which has a rubbish email address)
me@icloud.com for my email (which my domain service fwds all my email send to me@privatedomain.com to)

Hopefully this means I'll be able to use my me@privatedomain.com email address with my me@privatedomain AppleID, but I'm not sure if Apple will allow an email alias to be used if that alias is already the 'name' of another AppleID.

I get confused even trying to explain that. What happened to 'it just works'?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.