Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Ok so I recently had to restore my phone, but it was no biggie as all of my contacts and photos and such are on iCloud.

Restored my phone. Contacts came down. No photos or videos.

When I go into iCloud it says that I have 2.4GB left for storage. When I check the storage thus far I see that the Camera Roll is taking up about 2.4GB, and the rest little miscellaneous apps.

How do I get my photos and videos OFF of iCloud?!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You can't delete the pics/videos without deleting the entire backup. You can however go into Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage>iPhone and turn off the backing up of your camera roll. Then create a new iCloud backup and remove the old one. Now iCloud will skip backing up your Camera Roll.

Also if you had Photo Stream enabled, most of your pics/videos should be there for you to retrieve.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
You can't delete the pics/videos without deleting the entire backup. You can however go into Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage>iPhone and turn off the backing up of your camera roll. Then create a new iCloud backup and remove the old one. Now iCloud will skip backing up your Camera Roll.

This is obviously what I meant as once you turn it off, it deletes that specific portion of the backup.

Also if you had Photo Stream enabled, most of your pics/videos should be there for you to retrieve.

Photostream was not enabled at the time. I can't remember after restoring if I restored from iCloud or not, which is troubling me because I should be able to access the iCloud backup anytime to backup/download specific things (missed the mark Apple).

Now I have my phone set up the way I want it and what...have to do another restore to ge the data back? If that's the case, thank God it doesn't overwrite the data with each backup.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
This is obviously what I meant as once you turn it off, it deletes that specific portion of the backup.

Photostream was not enabled at the time. I can't remember after restoring if I restored from iCloud or not, which is troubling me because I should be able to access the iCloud backup anytime to backup/download specific things (missed the mark Apple).

Now I have my phone set up the way I want it and what...have to do another restore to ge the data back? If that's the case, thank God it doesn't overwrite the data with each backup.

What data are you trying to get back? If you have it set up they way you want, why would you restore again?

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
What data are you trying to get back? If you have it set up they way you want, why would you restore again?

I had 2 backups. One on my Mac, one in iCloud. I have it set up the why I want it again, but I thought that iCloud would automatically restore content that was gone. I was not aware that it worked ONLY at the very beginning of restoring your phone. That's what threw me for a loop.

So I have everything but my photos and video. But I just did another restore so I could get that backup. Now it's downloading everything properly.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I had 2 backups. One on my Mac, one in iCloud. I have it set up the why I want it again, but I thought that iCloud would automatically restore content that was gone. I was not aware that it worked ONLY at the very beginning of restoring your phone. That's what threw me for a loop.

So I have everything but my photos and video. But I just did another restore so I could get that backup. Now it's downloading everything properly.

iCloud should restore everything that was on your phone during the last backup. I've only restored from iCloud a handful of times, but it's restored everything every time. I'm not sure why it didn't restore your camera roll.

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.