iCloud "Unknown error"

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Cave Man, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    iCloud is being a pain in the @$$ again. This morning, I'm prompted that my Mac can't connect to iCloud and that I need to change my settings. So, I open the iCloud pane and type in my password and it says "An unknown error occurred" in red font. If I intentionally type in the wrong password, it says my password is incorrect. This tells me the unknown error isn't about my password but instead about my account. This has also screwed up Messages because I can no longer send messages from my Mac Pro. Any idea about how to resolve this issue?

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Can you login on the web (iCloud.com)? If so, the account is ok.

If the web access works, try logging out of iCloud on your Mac, then log back in.

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

iCloud.com works just fine. I logged out of iCloud on my Mac Pro. Now, when I try to log in with my user name and password, the iCloud preferences pane just cycles back to the login where I have to repeat entering my user name and password.

4. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Create a new user account and login with that account. Likely something is corrupt in the current user profile.

5. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

The solution was to restart the computer, log out of everything, then log back in. Nuts.