iCloud usage and local Photos App library don't match

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sanity, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sanity macrumors member

I am synchronizing photos from my local library to the cloud. It appears that it thinks it is done uploading as of a few days ago. My local library is 369GB, but iCloud says I'm only using 295GB of storage for photos and videos. Any idea what the difference is? Looking at them, it isn't obvious what it is yet but there must be something missing from iCloud.

Are there certain types of videos that it wouldn't sync? That sort of thing?

2. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

What types of image formats are you uploading? Do you have both raw and jpeg formats for your images locally; icloud may only be uploading one version.

3. sanity thread starter macrumors member

Almost exclusively JPG. Hardly any RAW images.

4. sanity thread starter macrumors member

Two ideas:
    1. Is there a way to force Photos.app to try to resync everything (basically recheck synchronization) without having to reupload all my files again?

2. I notice that some videos won't replay within Photos app. The thumbnail is there but when you go to play it says "Photos cannot play this video. Do you want to try opening it in QuickTime Player?". But these are files that it should play as they are .MOV files from an iPhone. I'm wondering why these won't play and whether iCloud would decide not to upload them to iCloud because of the issue.